1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brand new extreme v first storm - cutting edge in pieces

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by BillyRgn, Feb 6, 2016.

1. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

Drive side a foot of the edge on the driver side completely broke off, passenger side about a 6in piece broke off where the center piece meets it, extremely in happy that I'm probably gonna have to buy cutting edges for a brand new plow that didn't make it through the first storm. Didn't hit anything, heck I wasn't even far enough along to where I was pushing to curbs yet, anyone else have brand new edges break apart ???

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

⅜ or ½ ???!?

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Pixs first,

4. Show us some pics...we're not piling on until we have something to go on....

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

What did you hit and how fast were you going?

6. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

Here is one side

EXTREME V BROKE.jpg

7. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

here is the other side, driver side.
    not going fast, made a pass and then saw something on the ground, got out and was the broken piece from the driver side on the ground, and also noticed the broken piece on the passenger side near the center. brand new first storm, this isn't my first evtreme v and have never had something like this happen. Been plowing the lot where it broke for years, nothing to hit and lot is in great shape

extreme v broke resize.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  8. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

That's crazy. I can't say I've ever see something like before. I'm not saying this is the case or anything, but at first glance and from an offensive point of view...that curb guard inner tip, right next to the fracture, has clear damage on it from some kind of impact, most likely metal on metal.

9. grandview

Why do both pixs look like its the same side?

10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

1st one other side, 2nd is driver side...know its kinda of early for ya to use both eyes

11. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Im gona sound like a dick but you had to hit something. Metal doesnt just fall apart

12. grandview

I maybe fat and drunk,but I don't think that stupid,both curb protectors go on the ends,so why is it in both pixs the mold board is curved on the same side?

13. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Believe what you are seeing is the smaller center section of the cutting edge and not a curb guard. And definitely hit something to cause the scaring.

14. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

In the first pic that is the center near the vee, its not a curb guard its the adjustable center pc.

15. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

no curb gaurds center piece of the v

16. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Those are both drivers sides of you look at extreme v, decal placement and curb guard.
    Edit... Maybe I see it now as a centre piece...

17. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I have 2 western mvp plus, should be the same cutting edge. I have never broke one but I have a friend that has one and he has broke his a couple times or more similar to the second pic. I should mention that he his kinda hard on stuff.

18. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Ah'yup, I think you're correct sir, that is in fact the center section. I was just thinking that while reading grandviews response about them being the same side.

19. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I have 8.5' MVP with wings; about 8 years old. I'm just a personal plower, but I have a 600' straightaway that I plow along one side about 3' onto the grass when it's frozen. I've have the blade trip on the dirt and make the blade bounce hard enough to make gouges in the pavement; the trip edge didn't break or crack. Still looks perfect (normal wear and tear looking). May just be that you got edges from a defective batch of metal.

20. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

If you didn't smash anything? Then it's a metal issue forsure.. should be warranty no problem!!!

Passenger side Centre and driver side end.. we're all you guys drinking last night??? Lol