1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

branching into roof snow removal. Any tips?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by OldMarine, Nov 12, 2008.

1. OldMarine

OldMarine Junior Member

looking for dos and don'ts safety tips etc.

fell into about 200 units for my first contract. so i need to know what is the best equipment.

any help is great.
  2. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

a life insurance policy
  3. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

Don't work alone; use ropes and safety harnesses. Also, make sure your current ins. policy covers it. I found out last year mine did not - luckily not because something happened.
  4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Wow you just fell into 200 contracts huh? Nice.
  5. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

But seriously I'd expect your liability, work comp. insurance to skyrocket. I imagine you checked that first though before signing your first contract.
  6. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Buy a used bucket truck and extendable rakes...
  7. OldMarine

OldMarine Junior Member

business partner arranged it. it is 30ish hoa's With the snow we get i will be running a few crews to get them all done. and yes our insurance will go up a lot.
  8. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Bucket truck or Versa Lift, something of that sort to get up high without using ladders.
  9. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i saw a pic on here with an excavator that had a snoex broom attached to the bucket.... best way i ever saw... no one on the roof , operator just raked it off
  10. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

That sounds slick. I would love to see that. The operator would have to be an ace.
  11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Just don't take their roof off with it!!! :eek:
  12. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

dont fall..
  13. npswi

npswi Junior Member

My company has provided roof snow removal for 16 years. I have seen many ways to do it. I have found that using a snow scoop and actually being on the roof is the easist method. It can be very hard work. Most average 1200 sq.ft. Ranch houses in this area pay about $150 to get the snow off the roof. Falling off the roof is not as big a concern as one would think (unless you are on very high roofs). You can easily walk a 8/12 pitch roof with 12 inches of snow on it. You simply stay on the areas with snow. 6/12 pitch are even much easier. If you fall off, you should have at least 2 feet of snow to land on. Decks suck to fall onto.
    I charge $60 per hour for each person on the roof. I pay my guys $15 per hour for roofs. You must consider how much snow buildup you will be removing and the snow cleanup on the ground when bidding this. I have seen 2 feet of snow removed from a roof, onto the deck, only to see the deck fall in.
    I am not sure how one can have X number of roof accounts and bank any money on it. We remove snow when it reaches around 24-28 inches on older buildings. Many years we do not see that much snow. It is a service that is only big every 5-10 years. Maybe you get much more snow? We get around 160 inches per year here.
  14. scitown

scitown Senior Member

"Decks suck to fall on"

That just made me laugh.

Like it happends every couple days.
  15. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

send me your workes please. im 15 mins from the border, and im 15-18 for staying on the ground,..... you sure would never get me or one of my guys on a roof for less than 30 per hour
  16. scitown

scitown Senior Member

If he is a roofing company that plows during storms and then has the roofs as extra work for his guys it is propably viewed as a bonus to his workers to have some kind of work. I may be way off but roofers dont care what they are doing up there if it is for the same money they always get. THats the only way I could see getting away with that pay.

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

we shovel all the time up here, and the easiest way for me is to build a snoveyer. its my own invention and its top secret so ill show you in the winter. and this work sucks imo and the people dont wantto pay for it. i had a lady tell me the other day shes leavin and im shovelin her roof. then she said those bastards charged her 400 dollars last year to shovel her roof. i said wait till you see what this ******* charges lol
  18. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

You get 160"? I take it you're on the south shore then?
  19. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

haha, yeah in NJ we wanted to bid on a place that required roof top snow removal over 4-6" haha. Its a painted heavy duty metal roof, 6 years old, for the government, something like a million sq ft worth, id have to have had a couple dozen shovelers, and im sure id pay 50k a year for an insurance policy and HAVE to use it each year, screw that.