1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bran new snow ex sp7550 motor broken

Discussion in 'SnowEx Products' started by BRL1, Nov 7, 2015.

1. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

So we had the first snow event of the season and it was a bust. Nothing stuck to the ground but I loaded up the spreader the night before. Next morning I was off loading it at and it would keep giving me the over load message on the contol panel. After I would try to clear the auger and then I would get a over heat code. There is a clicking noise coming from the motor as well. I know the auger is not clogged up because I can turn it manually with a pair of channel locks.

Anyone have this happen before. This was the first time I have used the unit.

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Don't have an answer to help you fix it, but loading it the night prior may have contributed to your problems. Sounds like it all settled and compacted around the auger.

3. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Well that's what I thought you at first. But I know the material didn't freeze because it was inside my heated shop overnight. And it started working for about 10-15 min before it crapped out. If I can manually turn the auger and the motor can't there is a problem lol.

4. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

I'm wondering if it could be the gear box though ? How can I check that.

5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Sounds about right for the first time out...always some BS. Sorry to hear it but if it's new it should be under warranty correct? Only SnoX I ever had was a tailgate unit and the controller crapped out pretty early on. They gave me a new one and good to go.

6. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Yea it's under warranty. Should be getting new motor soon

7. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Motor was replaced by the dealer used the unit and it still sucks. intermittently feeds material i have to drive so slow that my tires almost freeze to the ground.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I know others say differently, but I don't believe auger fed spreaders are a perfected since yet.

9. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

No they aren't. I'm trying my best to get this returned asap and get a Meyer poly hawk with the pintle chain and a gas engine. These are wireless so I can change them between my trucks if I need to and not have to worry about wiring.

Plus there is a dealer in my town

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Good luck!

11. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Yea I'm in for a good time.

Thank you for your help.

12. 716plowguy

716plowguy Junior Member
    from WNY

We run all Snowex spreaders and I have yet to see a spreader offer the quality of spread pattern and as constant of a flow flow rate as we get with our units. I would say something is wrong with your unit. And as far as buy backs good luck we tried some Buyers this year that were terrible, like you first storm had issues took them back to dealer and after about 5 days they finally took them back. Snowex customer service is usually good. Good luck I hope they can resolve the issue for you.

13. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

We got a refund I am running a boss vbx now. Tons better than the snow ex. Maybe there was something wrong with woth this one but I won't be buying another.

14. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

Oh how do you like that vbx? I want one but can't justify like 6k when my salt dog has been good going on its 3rd year and only costs like 4k

15. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

6k? Mine was 7200 with pintle chain and dual vibrators. But damn worth it. I've never been able to spread a lot at 20 mph.