1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brakes

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by lilweeds, Aug 26, 2009.

1. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Let's hear recommendations for rear brakes and rotors for an 06 3500HD. The factory rotors rust up real bad!

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Whatever brand name you choose as far as rotors try to get one that are zinc plated vs bare. They last much longer in the rust belt and are much more resistant to the salt and calcium that does the stock rotors in in the first place. Many of the aftermarket rotors (Raybestos for example) can be spec'd in zinc coated.

Stay away from the generic off shore rotors and pads. You get what you pay for and the brake system is no place to cut corners.

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Yeah I made the mistake once of the autozone rotors. They warped like a SOB and I got my money back. I would for sure take B&B's recommendation.

4. lilweeds

B&B, what's your opinion of the slotted rotor from a company like EBC? Worth it? I've got the dual rear wheel, so I only want to do this once for 50-60K. They also have a good priced standard rotor as well that looks good.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Slotted's are a fine upgrade but what is most beneficial about them is MOST slotted rotors are also zinc plated for better corrosion protection. Really helps their life span on a plow truck. :nod: Just be cautious of the cheapy off shore stuff as their zinc isn't really zinc and has very little actual anti-corrosion properties.

EBC pads are a nice upgrade too but I've had excellent success with Hawk brand pads also. Price difference is much but Hawk is normally easier to source locally when needed in a pinch.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

How will the salt from the ocean be on the rotors with my truck parked on the beach in Hawaii this winter?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Who cares as long as Jimmy's there right? :drinkup:

8. grandview

Dam right. I'll save you a seat.And we can discus Boss's down pressure feature!:confused:

[​IMG]

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Why? Doesn't yours work? ;)

10. grandview

Nope. my fat neighbor moved!:rolleyes:

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Can't blame him. Probably got tired of your music. :D

12. lilweeds

Well I hope I made the right choice. No front slotted's available, so I got the front slotted and dimpled (woo hoo) with greenstuff pads all around. We'll see huh? Not to expensive I guess, pads cost about the same a factory pads, rotors a bit more. Hopefully the rotors can go through a couple sets of pads.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What brand rotors did you purchase? What color is the anti corrosion coating?

14. lilweeds

Went with all EBC. I think the coating is black, they seem to have alot of good reviews.

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I think you'll be most satisfied with the EBC rotors and pads. Good service life and their corrosion protection coating lasts a long time.

16. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

How much did it cost you ?????Breaking it down ,

17. lilweeds

I ordered them from Auto Parts Warehouse online. Did the live chat to check stock and they didn't have the plain slotted ones in stock.

So after him offering the plain rotors (which probably would have been fine) and then the slotted and dimpled rotors, he offered and additional $10 off the total purchased of say $612 I think. i thought about it and looked around but could find the slotted rotors for my truck at other online site so I counter offered with $582 and he met me in the middle, when I get the invoice I'll get you the breakdown. The plain rotors and pads are actually cheaper then factory, and I get a very good discount!

Also I bought the greenstuff 7000 for the front.

18. lilweeds

Figures and now today I get a 10% coupon code. If you all want extra money off use code "bestsellers"
    List front rotors were $221 rear $191 Front Pads (greenstuff 7000) $105 rear (greensutff 6000) $95.

19. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

I just got EBC, drilled and slotted rotors and Greenstuff pads, front and back for my F-250 out the door for $607.50. I got them from Autoanything.com, they have a $50 dollars off sale right now. They came next with free shipping.

20. lilweeds

They let me cancel the first order and I got mine for 553 shipped