1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

brakes on a chevy C-60

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by mark24409, Nov 28, 2002.

1. mark24409

mark24409 Junior Member

:confused: Can any one shed some light on reparing the brakes on a 73 chevy C-60. the system is a single line master cyl. that runs to a vacuum boost chamber under the driver side of the cab. then out to the wheels. I have replaced the master cyl. wheel cyl. and all lines including the vacuum line from the eng. to the vacuum boost chamber.the pedal is hard but no brakes. I fear that the only thing left is the vacuum chamber. if this is the source of my trouble can I rebuild it or must it be replaced. or I'm I missing some thing simple.

2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

what your refering to is a vacuum booster, which i doubt is your problem. there should be a proportioning valve in the system somewhere, its most likely your problem. when you changed the lines and wheel cylinders, did you bleed the system?did you get fluid out with pressure?

3. mark24409

mark24409 Junior Member

thanks for your ideas on my brake problem. i have bleed the brakes a couple of time to make sure i got all the air out. As for the proportion valve, i never gave it a thought. thanks i'll give it a try. hopefuly thats the cure to my proablem. I've had a few people tell me that the brake systems on those old trucks can be a bear some times if they start to give you trouble.

4. jakegypsum

jakegypsum Senior Member

Mark, You may not want to hear this but to me it sounds like the vacuum booster is in need of replacement. I have been around many makes and have seen similar problems like yours. They have all shown the same when a problem like this comes around. (International, Ford, GMC, Isuzu). Normally when the brake pedal becomes hard as a rock, it is the booster that is failing. As for rebuiding them, it all depends on availability of parts. I have always purchased rebuilt replacements. Rebuilding something like a brake booster has never been cost effective to me. Good luck. Jake.

5. SCFALL

SCFALL Member

Mark bad news but I would also say its the booster, I have replaced a dozen of these over the yrs. without the booster its like having manual brakes. You cant push the pedal hard enought to work brakes sorry for the bad news Scott

6. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

First, there is no proportioning valve on those systems. I've got a GMC5500 that I repalced all the lines on so I can speak from experience. In addition, on an all drum system there is no need for one. Brake bias, if even a consideration, was engineered into them by varying wheel cylinder size. I'd put my money on the booster, also called a "hydro-vac" is bad.

7. mark24409

mark24409 Junior Member

thanks for the info

Thanks to every one for there replies, I have gotten the breakes fixed. Stops great now , I did have to replace the booster. I'm hoping that it is the end of my brake proablems for a while. since the entire system is now new.:waving:

8. DZLSNOWANDICE

DZLSNOWANDICE Junior Member

Should be I had to replace the booster on my Dads old 1970 chevy c-60. good for another 100,000:drinkup:
    Frank