1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

brakes on 92 dodge 1 Ton van

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by TomatoRedGMC, Nov 5, 2003.

1. TomatoRedGMC

TomatoRedGMC Member

My dad has a 92 dodge, 360, 1 Ton ( i beleive). problem is, the brakes have been acting up.... the pedal goes almost to the floor, until you pump the pedal about three times then it gets a little harder.....no fluid leaks or anything, don't think the wheel cylinders are leaking. also, the anit-lock light is on. I'm thinking the seals in the master cylinder are going or gone, just because the way the pedal is acting, and i can't see any leaks....and the brakes grab fine after you pump em, but then they lose their feel until the next time you have to stop....should i replace the master cylinder?

Thanks,

walt :eek:

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

It could be the master cylinder,or it could be the ABS valve.If the ABS valve is leaking internally it could cause that problem.Bypassing the ABS valve isn't too hard,maybe try that first.If not,it's gotta be the master cylinder.

3. TomatoRedGMC

TomatoRedGMC Member

ok. if it's not too difficult to describe, how do you bypass the abs? i believe the module is down by the driver side wheel well, in the brake block....right?

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

It's been a while since I've worked on one of those vans.Let me pull out my ABS manual and find out some more info for ya.Give me 15 minutes or so,I'll post it.

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Not much in the book regarding exact location,it just says "Dual solenoid hydraulic valve is located on frame rail".You should be able to follow the brake line down to the valve to find it.It will have a 4 prong electrical connector going into it as well.

It may help if we went through and diagnosed your ABS light first.It most likely a bad or dirty speed sensor in the diff,but it wouldn't hurt to find out.

The ABS module is mounted behind the dash on the pass side.It's on the front of the heater plenum without A\C,and on top if it has A\C.Follow the harness going into it,and you should find a single wire connector which isn't plugged into anything (black wire).Ground this wire with a jumper,and turn the key on.The ABS light should now flash any codes.You'll get one long flash,and then a bunch of short flashes.Start counting AFTER the first long flash.Post the codes,and I'll tell you where to go next.

6. TomatoRedGMC

TomatoRedGMC Member

sweet.....I really appreciate the help. ALOT :nod:

I'll post them after work tonight.

Thanks Uncle Chris!!!! your the greatest!!! :D

7. yako

yako Member

i have the same exact problem with my w250 1989 cummins right now. the abs light is also on. i replaced the master cylinder and it didnt do anything. i think wyldman is onto something with the abs valve im going to try to bypass it tomorrow i think. ill post and let you know what happens.

8. TomatoRedGMC

TomatoRedGMC Member

van didn't get back to the shop until late....i'll try and get the codes here soon.

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

yako - I remember you post about your Cummins truck.Do you have an ABS light on ? Maybe it would be worthwhile doing some ABS diagnostics on yours as well ?

10. yako

yako Member

yes it has the abs light on. i think the abs valve is along the frame rail where ill have to pull the fuel tank. i believe the rear proportioning valve is hidden to. im thinking of cutting in and putting in new instead of pulling the tank. is there anything else that i cant see that i would want to do.

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

I thought the ABS valve was further up,but I could be wrong.the proportioning valve is at the front,you don't want to bypass it,just leave it.The other thing you may be seeing at the back,is the height sensing proportioning valve.It has an arm that goes to the rear axle,and dictates rear brake pressure based on loaded height.You can bypass it to get full braking power from the rear.

12. yako

yako Member

so if from the last point i have access to the brake line at i should be able to cut and flare and re-run the line back without worrying about anything else

13. wyldman

wyldman Member

Yes,that would work.If it was me,I would follow the rear brake line up to the proportioning valve at the front,and run a new line all the way to the rear flex line.No cutting,no flaring on the truck (harder to do),and you could even use a premade line with the correct fittings if you can find one.

14. TomatoRedGMC

TomatoRedGMC Member

obey kobey.....the anti-lock light flashed 9 times.....no matter how much we did it....great instructions, dude! was able to pop out the glovebox and find it right away! now what?

15. wyldman

wyldman Member

Did the 9 flashes include the first long flash ? If you counted the first long flash,it would be a code 8,for the ABS valve.

If you didn't count the first long flash,it would be a code 9,which is for the rear wheel speed sensor,in the diff.

Let me know which one it it is and will go further with the diagnostics

16. TomatoRedGMC

TomatoRedGMC Member

We (my brother-in-law) and I counted AFTER the first long flash.....then it blinked 9 times.......not to sound like a moron or anything, but once we grounded the wire, and turned the key on, the abs light came on and flashed long once....then it was REALLy blinking one right after the other....when i count nine, right after the eighth flash it came on solid, and i counted that as a flash....have i :confused: you yet :eek:

my brother in law also wanted me to say it flashed 9 times, long pause, and flashed 9 times again.....it kept doing this until we removed the ground....

Last edited: Nov 7, 2003
  17. wyldman

wyldman Member

Pull the speed sensor out of the diff and clean it.It's magnetic,and will be covered in crud.

Unplug the ABS module for 10 secs,and plug it back in.Start the truck and see if the light stays off.If the code 9 comes back,replace the sensor.

18. TomatoRedGMC

TomatoRedGMC Member

will do. but my Gimmy is first in line this weekend :nod:
    so pull the diff cover off, and its in there, eh? also noticed last night, the light didn't come on until i pumped the brakes a few times...then stayed on until i turned her off and back on.....
    maybe i'll just throw the carmate on the back and let the trailer do the braking for a while!!! :eek:

19. wyldman

wyldman Member

You don't have to pull the cover,the sensor goes in through the top.

You may still have a mechanical problem with the master or ABS valve,but start with the sensor.

20. VLPlowing

VLPlowing Junior Member

ABS Light on in 91 150

Hey my abs light is also on in my '91 150 but the brakes seem to work fine, anything I can do to diagnose the light? Thanks!