1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brakes - Ceramic vs Semi/Metalic

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kbsnow, Jul 17, 2010.

1. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

OK, it will be brake and rotor time. I have an 03 Dodge Dakota Quad cab 4X4. I tow one snowmobile in winter and a 16ft alum fishing boat in summer. It gets the usual haul of wood here and there along with patio bricks, etc. I was thinking of going with ceramic in front as that is where 98% of braking is, and standard semi-metalic in the rear. Any ideas from all you brake experts?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Ceramic all the way around.

Forgot they don't make the rims black either.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I just did mine and put ceramic all the way around. Just costs a little bit more.

4. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

Ceramic all the way. No questions. It's a little harder on rotors but way better pads

5. honda12967

honda12967 Member

Ceramics work real good but if your hard on the brakes you will warp the rotors every time, they don't dissipate heat like the semi metalics do but. If your easy on brakes use the ceramics. or get slotted rotors

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

98% in the front? I'm surprised they even bother to put brakes on the back.

7. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

Ceramics seem OK. I can honestly say I do NOT notice a big difference. I have about 1000 miles on them, and I did bed them in properly. Time will tell what the rotors will look like an about 29,000 miles or so.

8. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Ceramics and plowing are a waste of cash and will ruin the rotors.
    If you plow and don't use the brake pedal I might suggest ceramic. In my use and experience I have found them to be a waste of money.

9. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

This is NOT on my plow truck but my daily driver. The plow truck gets semi-metallic front, drums in rear.

10. grandview

Not so sure, have them on my plow tuck and 3rd season is coming up with them

11. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I bought a pair for the fronts last year. I had to replace this past March as they were not only 7/8ths gone they also ruined the drv side rotor!

Maybe it is my driving style and or the weight I carry in the winter but using these pads was the only time I remember the rotors getting so hot when I plowed you could hear the sizzle and see the steam when I would push into piles from snow hitting the brake components. By March I had a thump-thump-thump from the drv rotor whenever the brake was applied.

12. grandview

Sounds like you had other problems with your brakes.

13. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

Ceramic on everything I own.