1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brake ?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by farmerkev, Apr 3, 2009.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I replaced the brake lines that run along the frame on the driverside a while back, and bleed the rear brakes till there was a steady stream of fluid comming out without any air bubbles. I was only able to back it out of the driveway and the pedal was REAL stiff, I wasnt able to dive it again due to other issues except maybe two miles one day, and the pedal was REAL firm still (abour two weeks later) I had it pulled to a repair shop this morning and the brakes were still firm, (its been about 4-5 weeks since I changed the line) and when I picked it back up this afternoon after it had distributor work done, the brakes were not firm anymore, the pedal seems to be kinda soft now, its still there, and better than when the brake line had a hole in it, but why might it have gone soft again. Mind you it was unormally firm for a while.

I did check the lines, and the fluid level, and everything seems just fine.

Trucks a 1996 Chevy 2500 2wd with a 305 in it.
  2. MJD82

MJD82 Member

sometimes after sitting for a while the air will push into the master fluid is heavier than air. seems like the air has finally made it out of the lines to the highest point now i would take the cap off the master with the truck off and slowly pump the pedal a couple times to ensure the air is not in the master.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Bleed the brakes again.
    The air may have worked itself out.
  4. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I did what MJD suggested, and noticed a few small bubbles on the surface and they did firm up a tad, but after not driving it for over 5 weeks, I think I was just not used to driving it again, they seem just fine now.