1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brake problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by K8JWT, Mar 27, 2003.

1. K8JWT

K8JWT Junior Member

I just re-did the brakes on my 1987 R-10 with manual brakes after the emergency brake cable stuck and burned up the back brakes.

After new shoes,hardware,wheel cylinders out back as well as new pads up front I CAN NOT get any pedal pressure!

Back brakes bleed OK with clean fluid coming out, HOWEVER when I do the front brakes on both sides all I get is white,milky brake fluid and the sound of a lot of air.

Tried to bleed the drivers front and all I got was the above fluid for 3 fillings of the resivor of new fluid and with each bleeder opening I also got a lot of air bubbles spitting out.

Could I have a bad master cylinder???

Jacob Tennant

2. K8JWT

K8JWT Junior Member

Additional Information

When I push on the pedal I can hear a squishing sound like fluid sqirting from the MC resivoir.

Also can see fluid jumping around in the rear part of the resivoir which I was told was the fluid pool for the front brakes.

3. K8JWT

K8JWT Junior Member

Got it fixed! ! !

It turned out to have been the proportioning valve needed to be recentered by pushing on the rubber-covered button on the end nearest the radiator.

After that a simple gravity bleed followed by a good 4-wheel bleed and all is well and good again.