1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brake problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by AmPlower, Feb 20, 2003.

1. AmPlower

AmPlower Junior Member

On my 91' 3/4 ton 4x4, The pedal goes almost all the way to the floor, it was always kinda muchy since I bought the truck, I blew a line going to the rear wheels, replaced it, and bled the system. The fluid level had not gone down either, however the fluid turned a dark color since I replaced the line so maybe the master cyl seals are falling apart. The brake light came on as well. It seemed to have more pedal when it was cold but its gotten pretty bad the last week or 2. Thanks for your help.
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

You probably have air still trapped in the line.Those trucks can be a real PITA to bleed.

Gravity bleed it as much as possible,then bleed it by SLOWLY pumping it up,and hold it while someone cracks the bleedeer screws loose.Repeat until it gets better.Pump the pedal very SLOWLY,as they tend to suck in air if you pump it up too fast.

A shop with a power bleeder may be able to do a much better job if you can't get it all out.

Before you start,suck out all the dirty fluid from the resivoir,and put fresh stuff in.

Check your rear brake adjustment,and adjust them up as tight as possible.You may have to grind off any ridge on the brake drum to do this,as there is no external access to the adjuster.