1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brake problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by redplowman, Feb 15, 2009.

1. redplowman

redplowman Member

Hello everyone,

I just replaced the upper and lower ball joints and did the brakes all the way around on my 2006 F-350 Super Duty 4x4. I did have to replace one rear caliper which I did and bled out. The rest of the job went pretty well but now my brake pedal does not hold. I can pump up the brakes but the next time I apply them the pedal goes low again. I did go back and bleed all 4 starting at the furthest from the master. I'm not that famillier with these new anti-lock systems can someone help. Thanks for the anticipated responses.

Redplowman

2. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

Dumb question, but did they give you the correct caliper? I've seen mis-boxed calipers, where you wind up with the left side caliper in the right side box. While it may phsically bolt on, the bleeder screw is now on the bottom instead of the top, and you'll never get all the air out.

3. redplowman

redplowman Member

Mike,

You are a down right genious, and don't ever let anyone tell you different. I went and checked that lead and you hit the nail right on the head. I double checked it against the old caliper and they either packed it wrong or ordered the wrong one. Thanks so much for your help with this, I would have never caught that. Let everyone be aware of this, just because its new and bolts on doesn't mean its the right one. Always check your parts against the old one if you can. GREAT JOB MIKE!!!! :drinkup:

4. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

Top Notch Off The Hook Quick Diagnosis.I Bet That you are The First Guy to Leave The classroom when Taking Your ASE Test!!!!! Bravo!!!

5. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

I got burned by this 20 years ago on a Nissan Maxima. It's one of those things you never forget.

Glad I could help. :drinkup:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  6. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

Last time I re-certified all 8 ASE's I was the second to leave, I missed being first by about two minutes.:D

But really it seemed like an obvious place to look, since the only time the fluid system was open was the replacing of the one rear caliper. You run a shop and I'm sure you've seen your share of mis-boxed calipers.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  7. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

Sorry to revive a 3+ year old thread but I'm doing brakes on my neighbors '06 F350 and I think I know why redplowman got the wrong caliper. They asked me today when I bought the new calipers if they were mounted on the front side or rear side of the axle. In my case they're mounted on the rear, the parts catalog showed them being mounted on the front, with a footnote stating if they are rear mounted then the left side part number really fits the right side and vice-versa. Since I bought two calipers this whole deal was really a non issue to me, I just had to pay attention to make sure the bleeders wound up on top.

My guess is the parts guy that sold redplowman his caliper never bothered to read the catalog and/or ask the right questions to determine exactly what he needed. Ford owners take note of this, I'm sure this wasn't the first time something like this has happened.

8. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Not trying to be a jerk but it does not happen to mechanics They know the bleeder goes on top how else would you get the air out ??? Ive seen it alot when the vehicle owner or a friend did a brake job and now has a mush pedal. Kind of like the guys at quicky lube trying to grease the bleeders with a grease gun.:laughing: