1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brake problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by farmerkev, Jan 2, 2009.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

The otherday, my right front brakes began making a scraping noise, made a horrible grinding noise when I would brake, pulled everything off to realize my interior pad was totally shot, gone to metal just like that. I just got done replacing the pads on the driverside, and pushed in the brake pedal like my manual says, and tried to spin the wheel by hand, but its still making the scraping noise when I spin it. Id assume that if I drove it and used the brakes, the grinding would be gone, since the pads are good again, but why is it still making the noise when it spins, any ideas? Id think it could possibly be a bearing, but that noise started at the exact same moment that the brakes went out, so Id have to believe its connected.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Are the rotors worn? Could have a lip on the rotor and the pad is scraping it. Or frozen caliper.

3. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

The inner pad was GONE! Metal on metal for a day or so after it started to go out. The rotor has some very small grooves in it, and Ill be replacing them after the next brake job, or in the summer. If thats the problem, would the noise go away after the pads get broke in?

4. Mustang

Mustang Member
    from NY

You sure you placed the pads in the caliper correctly? You don't have the metal back of the pad against the rotor do you?

5. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Yall gotta give me a little more credit than that!:p Yea Im sure I put the pads on right.

6. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

A grinding noise coming from the right front wheel area could be a multitude of things. Since you did find the brakes to be in need of replacement you have narrowed it down. Make sure the caliper is not making contact with the rotor. Make sure your metal brake line didn't get bent and is rubbing against either the axle shaft or the wheel. Make sure there are no hunks of rust getting ground in when you apply the brake. Does it make this noise with the pads and caliper off? Does it only make this noise when the wheel is installed? Change the conditions like that to help yourself narrow it down and I'm sure you'l find it as soon as you do that.

7. mr.muddmotors

mr.muddmotors Junior Member

what type of truck? possibly a backing plate rubbing on the rotor

8. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Its a 1996 Chevy Cheyenne 2500. Ill take of the caliper again, and see if it still does it. I cant afford to replace the rotors, so Ill do them in the spring when I have more money. But Im thinking now that since the rotor is grooved from the bad brakepad, that it might be the pad "fitting" itself to the rotor still. Thats a possibility I was told at another site also.

9. mr.muddmotors

make sure the caliper moves on its slide pins freely, the pads aren't hanging up on the bridge/knuckle due to rust buildup. like i said could be the backing plate rubbing the rotor.

10. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

So, once bolted in, the caliper assembly should still be able to move a little?

11. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

I doubt it is the pads wearing in. I have done the same thing and waited and had no noise from badly grooved rotors. If you take the pads out and it still makes that noise you will know that is not the problem. Yes the caliper should be able to move since that is how they work. It only moves a fraction of an inch everytime you press the pedal. You can tell if it is sliding correctly by turning the tire while someone press the pedal in and lets it up. You should not be able to spin the tire by hand when the pedal is pressed and it should spin freely when it is released. If it doesn't spin freely that would mean it is hanging up and you need to look at it very carefully to see where it hanging up. Usually one of three possibilities 1) the caliper bolts, 2) the piston on the caliper, and 3) something like the knuckle binding against it preventing it from releasing (unlikely but still possible). Also try turning the wheel while you spin it and see if that changes the noise. I doubt very much you have a wheel bearing problem since you would probably notice the wheel wobble if it were bad enough to hear from spinning the wheel by hand.

12. mr.muddmotors

with the caliper piston compressed in its bore you should be able to move the caliper back and forth on its mounting pins by hand. i agree with russ130 i don't belive it to be the pads wearing in if the noise didn't go away within the first or second time you applied the brake on your road test. when you pull the wheel back off i'm sure you will find something making contact with something it shouldn't be.

13. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

could also be a warped rotor.

14. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

very possible if it was medal on medal for awhile....

Also, for the sake of preservation, spend the $10-$15 to have the rotors turned at least. Most shops I go to, won't even charge you if they get it mounted up and discover if it is even slightly warped.

Whats the rotors go for on that beast? $40-$60 per?