1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brake Problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by sunrise, Oct 25, 2000.

1. sunrise

sunrise Junior Member

I have a 1989 F 250 4x4 8 cyl auto
    the problem is the brake pedal goes to floor.
    Master cyl has been replaced by Ford,myself,and others.
    what is the problem? Brake will stop you but a little spooky
  2. Chip

Chip Member

I think there is a cylinder on each brake. These should also be replaced.
  3. Wilburn Parks

Wilburn Parks PlowSite.com Veteran

Try power booster. Had same problem on 78 Bronco Blead and blead brakes till finally took to brake shop and found out booster was bad.Same symtoms as yours
  4. Skookum

Skookum Member

Had same thing on a 88 f150. Just had brake work done and pedal went to the floor. Took it back and they bled the lines again. Still did it. Then they said it had to be the rubber lines in the front. Seems they break down inside and get little flaps that will make the bleeding process not as effective cause they will catch junk in the lines. Replaced lines, bled again, never had problem again. If I recall it was under $15.00 per side for the lines.

from NJ

having a similar problem with my F250 HD... The power booster was leaking vaccum so I replaced it and then started having these pedal problems.. The truck stops but very slowly.. cant' lock up the brakes if you tried... I also then replaced the master cylinder and that did notheing.. ??? So now what .. It's only a 95 could it be the brake lines.. I had power bled it a few times and no help.. Also .... I have noticed that there is fluid on the master cylinder.. appears to coming out of cap ??? what's up with that ?? Anyone Know ?? Thanks

from NJ

Hey guys.. FIxed my brake problem.... pedal going to the floor..

Well it turns out that my truck a 95 F250 HD has partial ABS brakes and ABS requires a special bleeding procedure, which is in the manual that I neglected to reffer to.. But Having it bled out correctly, they called it cross bleeding, did the trick.. breaks work great now.....

from NJ

Power Booster

If the power booster went bad, the pedal would be hard as a rock, not drop to the floor.. You may also hear a hissing, vaccum leak if the diaphram failed...
  8. Bucky Badger

Bucky Badger Junior Member

I found with my '89 F250 that the rear brakes wern't adjusting properly....There's little rubber plugs at the bottom of the backing plates...pop em out and use a screwdriver to turn the adjuster...just have the wheels jacked up so you can turn them until they lock up, then back the adjuster off till they spin freely....