1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brake problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chevy$men, Feb 13, 2011.

1. chevy$men

chevy$men Senior Member

i have a gmc 99 2500 pick up 5.7 4x4 i just got it and the brakes was goin to the floor i put new pads new rotors and calipers and brake lines and it steel goin the floor wtf so i just replaced the master cylinder and it got a little harder but still go to the floor have you guy had this problem i need help the back brakes are fine and im thinking its the booster help.....:cry:

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Try and re- bleed the brakes.

3. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Ya, they're not bled of air dude........

4. chevy$men

chevy$men Senior Member

i bled them just not the back because had to line bled the back cuz the srew is fuckd

5. chevy$men

chevy$men Senior Member

if the truck is off i pump the brakes they get hard than turn the truck on they go soft what you think???

6. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Gotta bleed the whole system, starting with rear.

7. grandview

Air in the calipers

8. chevy$men

chevy$men Senior Member

i dont know we bleed these brakes about 3-6 in front

9. chevy$men

chevy$men Senior Member

do you guys think its the booster

10. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

It could be the booster or wheel cylinder.Are you bleeding them correctly? First step make sure the fluid reservoir is full.With the wheels off have somebody in the truck pump the pedal 3 times and on the third pump hold it to the floor.Crack the bleeder.Do this until all the air is out and move onto the next one until all the air is out of the system.Then have them start the truck and see how the pedal is.

11. chevy$men

chevy$men Senior Member

thats what we did that me and my guy it still go 2 the floor

12. grandview

Any leaks around were you put on the new brake lines?Could be sucking air.

13. ultimateinc

ultimateinc Senior Member

im having the same problem on the same truck now. my reservoir went empty and it was sucking alot of air. i refilled the reservoir and bleed them and it helped alot but noticed it was leaking from the reservoir so it sucked more air. gonna replace the reservoir tomorrow and re bleed the system again. how much did it cost you to replace the reservoir ??

14. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

You have to bleed the whole system! Start with the rear brakes, both sides, preferably right rear than left rear. Then do the right front and left front. The truck should have ABS and that may need a scan tool to finish the job.

15. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

Ya dont be jumping to conclusions to quick , do a proper bleed of the brakes as advised. You threw enough parts at it. If bleeder screw on the rear brake cylinder dont open , replace them first,............it take time when your working with old junk. Been there (Still there) Done that.

16. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Buy new caliper. I had same issue with bleeder screw.

17. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

It can be a pain in the but to get all the air out of the ABS proportioning block. If the bleeders a frozen in the rear just replace the whole wheel cylinder not worth the hassle they are $9

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  18. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

Calipers on correctly? Bleeder screws on the top?

19. ultimateinc

ultimateinc Senior Member

sorry i met replace the master cylinder

20. chevy$men

chevy$men Senior Member

$65 with 25 core