1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

brake problem 2000 silverado 2500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Ok I have this weird brake problem on my 2000 silverado 2500 4x4 6.0. My passenger side front brake caliper is locking up. I replaced it along with the caliper bracket and all associated hardware. Bled it very well and still locking up. Even with the truck off, pedal not touched I still get a lot of pressure out of the bleeder valve. Then once I release that pressure, I can spin the wheel. Press the pedal and locks back up. Almost seems like it has constant pressure going to it. I'm completely lost with this, not gonna keep replacing crap. I got snow coming this Thursday, so time is not my friend. Please help!!!!

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Look for a swollen rubber brake line.Even if it doesn't look swollen, replace it anyway.

3. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Yes , do replace the rubber line leading to that caliper . I've replaced two in the past year , one on my truck , the other on the wifes car .

4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

They are new both front

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Crack the line open at the rubber/steel line connection Tom and see if the caliper noticeably releases it's grip. If it doesn't then your "new" hose is defective.

6. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

I guess you just continue your way upstream towards the Master cylinder . I would check the proportioning valves next .

7. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

ill throw you my hard learning experience... i own a shop, and had this same problem before.

replaced calipers still had problem. replaced both front rubber lines, still had problems.

what had happened is the master cylinder was leaking and got into the p/b/ booster and the vaccuum solenoid mounted next to the booster. ended up just replacing the master cylinder and it has been fine ever since. local stealership wanted to replace booster and vacuum actuator to the tune of a shitload of cash. i didnt even see any evidance of brake fluid in side the booster. so we just replaced the m/c and it is working fine.

cliffnotes: replace your master cylinder.

8. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Well it seems the line was faulty. Yall were right!! Works fine so far. I do appreciate the help. And to the master cylinder thing, does it apply to the trucks with power boost brakes? Don't have a vacuum booster on mine

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Doesn't matter what the boost method is Tom, either hydro or vacuum you can still have MC issues with either. However when it's the MC it will tend to drag both calipers rather than a single side such as in your case so the only thing really likely was the hose. Good fix. :salute: