1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brake (pedal)

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RichG53, Apr 25, 2009.

1. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Lately I have noticed my brake pedal seems to go down farther than before (I don't think it is just me).. I don't hear any wear bar noise when applying the brakes.. I don't feel like I am stopping like I did before... Having to Push harder on the pedal...
    Please any thoughts !!!!
    2001 2500HD 6.0

2. supersteve1191

supersteve1191 Member

try bleeding the brake lines

3. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Booster pump? It's behind the master, typical when you have to push harder on the pedal.
    Someone will correct me if I'm wrong about this model having a booster, but my 01 3500 has one.

4. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe you need front brakes? Stick your head under there and look. when was last time you did them. Keep in mind plowing takes time off front brakes. Not much but some

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Do you have rear drum brakes? I would bet they need an adjustment done. I have found that even if you are replacing all the adjustment parts they never work like they should! I do a rear brake adjustment about every 6 months on all my vehicles. It makes a huge differance most times.Not that the Wife ever notices!

6. RichG53

I bought the truck used !!! Why would they need bleeding ??? Four wheel DISC no drums .... I know how to adjust brakes...Disc brakes are self adjusting...

7. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Pop the hood and look at the Fluid level. If low it more than likely means you need a set of pads somewhere. Dont add Fluid unless you found a leak. Or its almost empty which would mean a leak

8. RichG53

Fluid is half way as it was when I bought it ....May be down a smige...

9. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I'm still going with the master or booster pump.
    If it's the master you tend to lose the pedal. Booster pumps cause a hard pedal.
    On the leak side of it, as you know, the pedal would disapear.

10. RichG53

I'm still looking for some help !11 Or suggestions ...

11. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Well the new style trucks (99-up) dont have a brake booster. It is all hydraulic now, no vacuum. And yes they are 4 wheel disc all around as well. Have you checked to make sure the wheel cylinders are not leaking?? Does it pull at all when stopping? If your brakes need bled, just doing the wheels will never get all the air out on these trucks. You will need to have the proper scan tool plugged in to actuate the ABS to bleed those valves out as well. That is where 90% of the problems arise from with the soft brake pedal

12. RichG53

The truck does not pull at lease not that I notice... Why would they need bleeding if nothing was done to the brake system .. !!!! There is some vacuum hose or some thing that comes from the engine that goes to the master cyl.... I will have to check the whl cyl... For leaks !!!

13. RichG53

Could my problem have any thing to do with the speed sensor or any thing related ???? Please read the beginning post !!!

14. RichG53

I still need suggestions... On my problem !!!!