1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brake pads

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by texdiesel, Dec 7, 2004.

1. texdiesel

texdiesel Junior Member
    from texas

I just replaced the brake pads on my wife's chevy. The left side front pads were worn on both the ends at 45 degree angles. I checked the bearing on the left front and they are plenty tight. Anyone have any ideas on what has happened? :eek:
  2. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

Make sure that the brake caliper slides or mounts are not rusted up. They have to move freely so that as the pads wear the caliper can slide . Also make sure that the brake pads themselves are not to tight in the caliper support or caliper. The pads need to be able to slide as they wear too.
  3. texdiesel

texdiesel Junior Member
    from texas

thanks for the suggestion

Thanks for the info redhenny16. Myself and my buddy were dumbfounded when we pulled them off and saw the unusual wear. I will have the calipers checked this weekend when I have the time to work on the front end
  4. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Can you take pictures and post them showing this unusual wear???
  5. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Yes and age and model of truck
  6. dirtsquirt

dirtsquirt Junior Member

Who did the last brake job?
    Just curious, since some of the brake pads that you can get have beveled edges on them. Could they be two separate styles of existing brake pads?
    It would be interesting to see the picture.
  7. texdiesel

texdiesel Junior Member
    from texas

sorry about replying

hey guys I have already threw out those pads but I am sure I can find another old pair and use a file and create exactly what I was looking at. As far as who did the previous brake job, it was done at a reputable car repair shop. I dont know for sure but wouldnt it make since that if brake pads with beveled edges were used, they would look the same for both the left front and right front. I am telling you the left front pads looked like a steep ski slope on the front and rear end of the pad. The right side had normal wear and tear. And tarkus it is a 98 chevy silverado 1500 with 85000 miles on it