1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

brake lock

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cj3859, Aug 27, 2001.

1. cj3859

cj3859 Member

I've got a 1986 c-20 custom that on start up the right rear locks when i apply the brakes,then after bout 20 feet works normal and for the rest of the ride no problem,only constant is it has rained prior to the lockup,any help to save me some bucks is appreciated.

2. reallyrusty

reallyrusty Member

Did you set the parking brake prior to this happening and do you now if you have semi metalic brake shoes?
    sounds like the shoes are rusting to the drum.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Ive had 2 trucks do the same thing,I never did find anything wrong with them,and they still do it to this day.The brakes are super sensitive after it rains for one or 2 stops.

4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

If the lining material was ever contaminated with brake fluid or oil of some sort this will happen regardless of how well you think you cleaned it off.

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Bill,both my trucks had this happen were chevy's.My 94 Z71 had only 12K miles on it when it started doing it,dealer couldn find anything wrong,neither could I.I lived with it,I sold it 4 years ago to a frined who still drives it,it has over 125k on it now,it still does it after it rains.The other was my 92 S10 blazer 4dr,It did it since i bought it used with 25K on it,the ABS would go nuts if you hit them hard,after the ist stop of the day,after a rain,they were fine,very strange.Neither of these trucks had the ddrums off before i had them,neither had the shoes get any oil,or fluid on them,neither blew a wheel seal,so i know it wasnt a factor.The 94 Z71 is on its second set of shoes,and it stil does it the same.

6. raceman6135

raceman6135 Member

Lubricate or replace the rear brake cables.

My '86 C20 crew cab had this problem a few years ago. My brake cable was seizing on that side. New cable = no problems since.

That is, of course, as long as you don't have a leaking wheel cylinder or axle seal (as others have mentioned), which will contaminate the shoes/linings and lock the sucker up, too.

Hope that helps.

DJS

7. cj3859

cj3859 Member

thanks for the info,I'll beat this problem like a red headed ford stepside!

8. cj3859

cj3859 Member

well pulled the rear brakes and guess what? Right rear cylinder was just a bit wet,i cant complain though truck has 75,000 on it and you wouldnt believe how good of shape the pads,shoes,discs and drums were in (original oem) yeehaw snow is comin down here! hopefully gets deep enough too try plowin!
    ps.yes i did the calipers too :) along with new bearings and seals all the way round,

9. cj3859

cj3859 Member

well i did my brakes all the way round,and found the right rear cylinder just abit wet,r2 everything and works great,also want to say i cant believe how good of condition shoes,pads,rotors and drums were in after 75,000 miles (they were oem) bet my new ones dont make it as long:) old chevys rule!
    ps.dont forget seals and bearings while your at it:) and heres a plug for you chuck,everyone who asks me about trucks gets one answer from me, "CHECK WITH CHUCK" I've learned more in what little time I've been using your site than gramps could have taught me in a lifetime:)