1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

brake lites

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by honeaj, Jan 10, 2006.

1. honeaj

honeaj Junior Member

Hello all, I am new to this site. I have a brake lite problem I can't seem to fix. To make a long story short, I replaced the wiring harness in a '95 GMC 3500 HD 6.5TD with a wiring harness for a '94. Everything works but the brake lights. I need a detailed wiring diagram for a '94. I have the shop manuals for a '95 and a manual for '88-'98 GM trucks, but that one is not in enough detail. The two models are different. In the 95 the brake light relay is under the hood in the fuse/relay box but it is not there in the 94 wiring harness. I don't know how to get the brake lites to work without compromising the blinkers. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

the main control switch for brake lites is controlled with a switch on the top side of brake petal just below the sterring column.This switch is adjustible.If you ran some wiring reently in or around steering column you might have bumped it loose.Also possible if your turn signal lever is slightly loose.this might be your problem.=faulty turn signal actuator.A cheap one is 70 plus dollars.Try this turn key to run but dont start engine,hold foot on brake petal have somelse check for brakes lites while yopu are shaking the turn signal lever slighty up and down.Ya sound crazy but try it.

3. honeaj

honeaj Junior Member

brake lite problem

Thanks welded wrenches for the response. I replaced the stop lite switch on the brake pedal. I will try jiggling the wires as you suggest and post results. Thanks again for the suggestion. Jerry.