1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brake lines

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ratherbfishin, Mar 19, 2013.

1. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

Today,for the 2nd storm in a row I lost a brake line.Time to change them all to avoid it happening again.Truck is a 2004 GMC 3500HD cab and a 1/2.Question is...should I buy the factory pre bent kit or coils and make my own? Some have said the pre bent ones are a ***** to install given the space .

Should I just get steel or are the stainless or nickle lines a better bet?
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

as far as I know that's to old to get the factory ones
    I would look into the copper/zinc??? ones. they are dark in color do a search on here for that,,,someone called them by there correct name, I just cant think of it right now
  3. craigd

craigd Member

Check out a company called Inline Tube in Shelby Twp Michigan. I just called them yesterday about stainless lines for my 2000 sierra. They quoted me just over 200 for all hard lines in stainless. From what I understand everything is bent to factory specs. If you need any hoses they are all stainless braid. I wish I had access to a lift...I'm sure it's not going to be an easy job, but after 12 seasons of plowing they need to be changed. One of these nights I know the pedal is going to the floor...probably on the first sight. Always works that way. Here is a link: http://www.inlinetube.com/
  4. K&L Salting

K&L Salting Member

On my 02 & 04 GMC trucks the replacement lines would only last for a couple years or so. Then GM quit making the 6500's and factory parts became obsolete. I found a place that would make them out of flexible stainless, the ends were also made from stainless not aluminum. A lot of places have the flex line but not stainless ends. The stainless lines cost no more the the replacement factory lines, a lot easier to install and dot approved.
  5. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

All mine get replaced with copper/nickel lines when they let go.
  6. ratherbfishin

I also checked out in line tube. My question is has anybody used the pre bent lines and are the user friendly to install?
  7. tyler886

tyler886 Member
    from RI

I've used a couple of the prebent kits on customers vehicles upon request, they can be quite the project to install correctly. Personally, I run the copper-nickel on all of my customers and personal trucks. Very easy to work with and route. Its around $50/roll buying locally and will last forever.

8. ratherbfishin

Thanks Tyler....that's the info I needed!