1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brake Lines

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Outty330, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Outty330

Outty330 Member

Anyone ever have to do a complete brake line job on thier truck I have a 1999 Silverado ext cab and blew a break line last weekend pulling the boat:mad: crawled under to take a look and all the lines are just rust took it to the local shop and they quoted me $600 to $700:eek: to replace all 4 lines front to back does that sound about right?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure they have the proper equipment/scanner to bleed your ABS module. Does that price include pulling and draining the calipers?

3. Outty330

Outty330 Member

I dont know, they said they have done several of these Silverado's apparently its a common proplem within the 1999 to 2003 yrs. NHTSA has just opened a investigation in late March for this issue. The shop also said they use a non corrosive brakeline whatever that means. It's just bad timeing didnt really have the extra $700 bucks to spend.

4. t-sig

t-sig Senior Member
    from 607

Outty,

It is very common on these trucks. I have a 2000 and my father has a 2002. We both have replaced ALL the steel lines due to rot. I blew the line along the frame rail under the box and he blew the line coming from the ABS to the front left wheel. As soon as you start to replace the blown line, you realize they all look like sh#t. I don't know what the material is, but, I can find 80's vehicles in the junk yard with better looking brake lines. As far as cost goes, it is labor intensive. I would think $700 is a little steep, seems like a $400 to $500 job to me.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It's an alloy brake line that will not rust. Only stuff to use.

6. GSORK

GSORK Senior Member

Do you still need to bleed the abs module if you do the lines as preventive maintnance instead of a blown out line?

7. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I paid $500 to have the rears done from the ABS module to the calipers. Front half this summer.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You should. I've replaced lines without bleeding the module. I just let gravity pull the fluid down through. But of course there is still old fluid in there, which would be nice to get out. Some guys have reported success bleeding the module by braking hard on dirt roads causing the ABS module to activate, then bleeding the lines again. But the best way is to have a shop with the proper scan tool bleed them when you are done.

9. bigblock73

bigblock73 Member

10. GSORK

GSORK Senior Member

is there a way to manually activate the Abs Valve?

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Tech II scan tool is one way to do it.

12. GSORK

GSORK Senior Member

I hate it when you are forced to go to the dealer for something you should be able to do on your own.

What if you jacked up the rear wheels and put on jackstands
    Started the truck .
    Put truck in drive to get the wheels moving.
    Applied the brakes, Would this make the ABS Valae operate.
    Then completly bleed the brake.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Buy the Tech II, then you can do it on your own.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, some guys have reported success by locking the brakes on dirt roads, then re-bleeding the brakes.

14. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

You could buy a Tech II... Also, many aftermarket scan tools have an automated bleed function. I have a Snap On Solus Pro that has that feature. Running the truck and braking with the wheels in the air won't activate the ABS pump.

15. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Ya beat me to it... :jester:

16. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA