1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brake line replacement

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 2004chevy2500hd, Apr 25, 2011.

1. 2004chevy2500hd

2004chevy2500hd Senior Member

Guys - Need your help, again

Have been trying variations of this search...
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=117164&highlight=brake+lines

I am looking to replace my brake lines on my 2004 Silverado 2500HD. Being somewhat handy / mechanically inclined - I thought that I would give this a whirl. That said, I have been Googling for "kits" or complete packages that would have everything that I need connectors/lines (not necessarily the tools). I see that lots of guys talk about this same issue, but was not able to find referenced sites or stores.

That said, for those of you guys that have done this before - where is the best place to purchase the supplies? (online? local?)

:mechanic:

Thank you!

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Most guys buy the tubing in bulk and flare their own ends. The copper/nickel alloy tubing is much much easier to work with.

3. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

you need a flare tool and a pipe cutter and bleeder tool 35 for all 3. dont buy pre bent just buy strait and bend it yourself.

4. t-sig

t-sig Senior Member
    from 607

Agreed. If you don't need the truck for a few days, take your time and do it yourself. You will save about 500 to 800 bucks by doing it yourself.

5. 2004chevy2500hd

Yeap - The truck can be down for days w/o a problem - It's a secondary driver. You guys recommend just picking everything up at a Napa store?

Would online be better?

6. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Na, napa will be a great place to buy lines, fittings, and any tools you may need. I just get bulk amounts of straight coated brakeline and cut and flare to fit. I haven't had real good luck with that soft stuff. It doesn't last all that well up here.

7. 2004chevy2500hd

Awesome. Thanks guys - I'll run to Napa after work tomorrow.

Much appreciated!!

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What are you seeing happen to it?

9. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

Biggest thing I've seen is people not installing it cleanly. Too small a bend or a poorly constructed bend becomes a kink, then rust sets in quickly and the brakeline fails. Up here it seems to rust a little more quickly then the hard coated line I run.

10. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I just did the rear hard lines on a 96 F150 4x4 because the ends that went into the wheel cylinders were rusted. I could turn the fitted nut but the line was rusted to the fitted nut and would not come off.

I ended up cutting the lines at the wheel cylinders and measured the original lines as best as I could and then bought straight lines that were already flared and had fittings on them. You can rent a tube flaring kit but I bought one. I also bought a cheap tube bender but will get a better one next time. I did have to cut and reflare one of the lines.

No one even offered prebent lines for this vehicle so bending your own was the only option or have someone else do it which I wasn't going to pay for. Its not a bad job. Have fun.

Wayne

11. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

we did the brakes on one of the guys truck we had plowing with us this year. a 2005 chevy 2500. could not for the life of us get the brakes to bleed. turned the truck on and they bled perfectly fine. Just a helpful hint as it took us a about a day and a half to figure that one out.

12. 2004chevy2500hd

wow - who woulda known - thanks for that info.

I'm going to try to do this (or start this) over the weekend.

13. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

14. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Everyone talked flare tool but, we should specify that it needs to be a DOUBLE flare tool. BIG difference.

15. EIB

EIB Senior Member

I do believe that Chevy has bubble flares on their brake lines.

16. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I've got that bleeder kit which works good but I have one that hooks up to your air compressor that I bought from Harbor Freight a few years ago and it makes bleeding your brakes a breeze because it really pulls the fluid through the lines.

Wayne

17. 2004chevy2500hd

Awesome info, again, guys - thank you, thank you, thank you - I'll check out the flare tools as well as the bleeders - (at the local stores)

18. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

always glad to help :salute:

19. 2004chevy2500hd

Folks - Need your help...I've searched the Chevy forums to no avail...

Educational question, if you don't mind

If I only replace the rear brake lines- do I need to bleed all (4) calipers or just the rears?

Thank you!

20. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

I always bleed the entire system regardless of it needing it or not. In fact, I consider bleeding my brake lines bi-annual maintenance. I have a vacuum bleeder so it's not a task to do. It's nice to know that my bleeders are free and not seized whenever I need to open them up.