1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brake Lights Wont Turn Off?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by GTLS, Jan 21, 2010.

1. GTLS

GTLS Member

For some reason when I was coming home last night, my brake lights wouldn't turn off. They were lit up as bright as they could(as if I was pressing the brake pedal) and they wouldn't turn off. I ended up disconnecting the battery after failing at trying to find the fuse which was a good temporary fix, but what could be wrong? And I know you're thinking that the floor mat may have jammed in the brake pedal, but that wasn't it, I already checked. Also, I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but I have this thing called a "Brake Master", and it accidentally got knocked off last night trying to put the truck back into 2WD because it was only held on by 1 screw. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

try hitting the hazards on and off, i think the relay runs thru the hazard. could be dust in there...thats what happened to me. could also be what you knocked off

3. GTLS

GTLS Member

Ok, thanks! Another LS member said there was a switch behind the brake pedal that tends to get stuck in Fords and Dodges. I'll check both of them out. And after looking, I don't believe it's that Brake Master thing... I think that's for trailers with brakes, but I'll look into both possibilities tomorrow. Thanks for the reply

4. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

check the arm of the brake pedal usually there is a switch that the arm hits

5. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Very good chance the plunger on the brake switch is stuck in.

6. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Yeah...and they slide out of the holder sometimes

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Is the brake light over the rear window on also?

8. maxximus98

maxximus98 Member

Sounds like a brake switch to me also!! They get stuck frequently. A little contact may clean it up!!

9. delcosnow14

delcosnow14 Junior Member

theres a switch behind the brake pedal ive seen alot of fords and dodges that have a spacer that pushes the brake switch and that tends to fall off not letting the switch in far enough. i have just epoxied a a couple of plastic washers on there when they fall off. let me know how u make out.

10. GTLS

GTLS Member

Yes it is......

11. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i had that problem on my dodge found i had some corrosion in the the trailer plug that was making a connection between the constant power wire and the brake light wire that was backfeeding to the brake lights.

12. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

This is usually the case, real cheap part and real easy to do

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That rules out the trailer plug.......

14. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Try unpluging the power from the matercylinder, with the engine running. Turn off the engine and replug it in. Then restart your engine. Use to reset our ABS this way. May not be the same on dodge or ford but hey every little bit helps right.

15. PeterD

PeterD Junior Member

At least in my truck, the trailer brake controller can energize the brake lights. But... It could be either. The only thought I have is that with the 'accident' with the trailer controller happening at about the same time that makes me suspect it...

16. GTLS

GTLS Member

That's what I'm also thiking, and I looked today, but I didn't see a switch? And with the Brake Master thing, you're getting into some serious wiring. It gets thick! Tomorrow when I have more time I'll look into it...

17. maxximus98

maxximus98 Member

Whats a brake master thing???

18. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

"Brake master" in this thread I think refers to the trailer control...
    "Brake mastercylinder" is the oil reservoir under the hood.

19. GTLS

GTLS Member

Problem solved... We disconnected the Brake Master, and the lights went off. So something happened while shifting back into 2WD

20. PeterD

PeterD Junior Member

Good to hear you are up and running OK... I just noticed you are in our area, (I'm in Jaffrey). If you have similar electrical problems drop me a PM, I do a lot of electrical stuff on vehicles.