1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brake lights to strobes

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by justin_jkj, Jan 30, 2012.

1. justin_jkj

justin_jkj Junior Member

Hi. I currently have led's in my brake lights and I also want to have strobes.
    so I want to add something like this http://autolumination.com/flash.html but I am wondering if anyone has done this and if it worked okay? I would put it on a 3 way switch so I can either have normal brake lights or full strobes.
    If not i will just get a hide-a-way and be done.

2. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

I dont see that being as effective as strobes or even LED strobes...but I suppose it would work

3. tomx20

tomx20 Member

I'm not familiar with that particular TLF, however I know most reputable brands go for $35-50+. (This is not to say you couldn't find a good quality one for less).

My vote would be for LED Hide Aways. Don't forget, if you are putting a LED hide away behind a red lens, use a red LED hide away. Using a clear bulb behind a red lens will cause you to lose 20% or more of the potential light output.

4. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

5. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

Do yourself a favor and just install a set of Whelen vertex, they work Great!

Vertex

6. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

I agree 100% go with a name brand item. That has made in china written all over it and when it fails and someone rear ends you you'll be screwed. Real hide a way LED are relatively inexpensive and are guaranteed not to interfere with your factory lights.

7. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

a simple LED flasher for 18.00 and a few diodes and relays will allow you to "STROBE" you factory parking/reverse/brake led lights....and also allow the brake function to "PUSH THROUGH" and always work so you never have no brake lights..

its an easy build...and we do it on the new Dodge challengers all the time..

basic point....if you have factory LEDs there is no reason why you can not reliably strobe them out AND keep your factory signals pushing through the strobing to keep you safe. All you need is a creative well trained installer....

email me if you have any questions about this.

DOT salt trucks have been using Whelen stop/turn/tail led lights in rear in red that strobe until you hit brakes and then stop until you let off brakes for YEARS.....old idea...