1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

brake lights staying on

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

After my wife blasted a curb and destroyed my drivers side torsion bar mount, my brake lights just stay on. 2000 silverado 2500. It blew the big maxi fuse for the trailer harness. I pulled all fuses associated with the trailer wiring, and the brake controller harness. I also unplugged the trailer plug out back. Still stay on. I'm thinking it possibly could be the brake light switch on the pedal, but figured I would ask before I go nuts tracing wires and replacing that switch. Thanks

2. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

I had this same problem. Mine was the wires to the trailer lights shorting on each other. The whole plug was corroded so I chopped it off awhile ago, haven't replaced it yet. Moisture was getting across the ends of the wires. Brake lights would stay on, reverse lights would stay on. I'm lucky it didn't catch fire actually. Got under to try to seal up the wires and found they had smoldered back a bit.
    Anyway, not sure that's consistent with the damage you described, but you did mention the trailer wiring, so hope that helps a little.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Reach up under the dash with a test light Tom and check the white wire on the brake lamp switch for voltage. If it shows voltage without the pedal depressed- replace the switch.

4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Thanks guys I will check that. How hard is that switch to replace?

5. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

mine was ez

6. elecblu

elecblu Member

Mine wasn't very easy. PITA 1998 chev 2500

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Toughest part is removing the retaining clip. Takes a little finesse but you'll get it.

Yes the GMT400's take allot more finesse. :D

8. Sydenstricker Landscaping

It was the switch. Yeah that clip caused me to invent new words lol. I may have sworn a lil more when I did my 92 blazer switch lol. Time for all the stupid little stuff now at 200k

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I modified a panel clip tool to do mine. One smack of the hammer that clip was history.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And he still has the mark on his forehead to prove it...

11. Good one, Mike!

(he's here all week!!)

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Little change of hair style, barely noticeable....