1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

brake light problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by texdiesel, Dec 2, 2004.

1. texdiesel

texdiesel Junior Member
    from texas

I know this is not just a chevy prob but its a chevy that the problem exists on. My wife drives a 98 chevy silverado half ton. The left brake light stopped working so I did what anyone would do and replace the bulb. It didnt work, the parking lights work but the brake light, turn signal are still dead. Is this a wiring problem or do I just need to replace the whole left side rear tailight assembly? :mad:

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Does socket inside assembly look good (no corrosion?)

3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

You will need to replace the printed circuit board. Take the taillight out two screws hold it in place. Swap them out and use die electric in the sockets. New boards are about 55.00 a side.

Regards Mike

4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Before you go that far test the socket with a testlight. I've had bulbs, even brand new ones, that look perfect but simply refuse to work. Check for corrosion, also check that the contact isn't stuck too far down in the socket and not touching your new bulb.

Simple, easy, and a lot cheaper to try first before replacing parts.

5. texdiesel

texdiesel Junior Member
    from texas

there are three contacts, two for the parking lights and one for the brake/turn signal light. they all look the same to me. they all have some type of goop in them, which I think is some type of conductive gel to help with the contact. I apologize, I dont know squat about electrical systems on vehicles. By the way I tried two different brand new bulbs and neither of them worked