1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

brake light problem

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dodgegmc1213, Nov 10, 2012.

1. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

hopefully some of you guys can help me with this problem. have an 04 ram 2500 i step on the brake all three of my lights come on like they are suppose to, let go of the brake my third brake light goes off but the pass and driver stay on and about a min later they turn off. i took my left trailer lamp fuse out and it was all fine but when i put the fuse back in same problem. i took my trailer plug apart left the wires hanging there, with the fuse back in place it was fine working like normal. bought a new plug put it all together bolted it to the truck and then tried the brakes again and problems back :confused: any help will be appreciated.

2. 1ATony

1ATony Junior Member

Boy....that's a tough one. You may want to have a buddy step on the brake while you poke around the trailer harness with a test light to see if you can figure out which wire was hanging it up. There could be a crossed wire somewhere.

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Brake light switch on your brake pedal, I just did one on my chevy.

4. 1ATony

1ATony Junior Member

That crossed my mind too. Should be pretty cheap to replace to see if it resolves the issue.

5. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

I fixed it the same day. The truck had a factory 7 prong harness and off of that they also had a factory four prong harness when I bought it the four prong was cut off so I just stuck the wires in the wire loom. Come to find out the way they had the extra wire for the four prong spliced in the left turn wire looked like they put the wires together and glued them cut that section out put the wires back together and problem solved. I have no clue lol

6. 1ATony

1ATony Junior Member

I've wired so many things and have been zapped so many times in my life, it sounded like it could be a crossed wiring deal.Thumbs Up

I'm like Tim the Tool Man Tayler over here.....lol