1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

brake light and power steering ?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by snowbuster1, May 21, 2013.

1. snowbuster1

snowbuster1 Member

I have a 05 Ford f250 with the 6.0 in it. I noticed my power steering was feeling funny every once in awhile. Check fluid and was full. Then my e brake light started flashing on and off and would stay on for awhile and then not come on for a couple days. Does the power steering pump have a brake booster of some sort on it that they could be connected? Another question is my gauges and radio will go off sometimes. What could that be?
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

your p/s is running your regular brakes,,,,parking brake is a cable. I would ck the paking brk switch
    what do you mean your p/s feels funny??
    ck the connection on the drivers side fender. little black box one wire going in and like 2 or 3 coming out
  3. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Could be several things.

E-brake shouldn't be connected to P\S. Unless they changed something huge. But it was just a cable setup.

P\S feeling funny could the stupid HydroBoost system for steering and brakes. Some idiot engineer thought it was a good idea to tie the power brakes and power steering into the same system. Lose the hydroboost and you lose your power assist for both. So your hydroboost pump might be getting weak, I've been noticing the same thing off and on with my '05.

Gauges\radio could be corroded wiring, bad batteries, instrument cluster (there was a TSB for that) or your windshield might have a leak and the water is running in to your GEM module.

Unfortunately, I have had all of these issues with my Furds.

Sorry I can't pinpoint it more and good luck.
  4. snowbuster1

snowbuster1 Member

The p/s seems like it sticks and then it wanders from left to right. What does the lil black box do? When my gauges go off my radio stops and the windows do work either.
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If your tk wanders that's probably your suspension not p/s system
    That black box is the pwr distribution box for your interior pwr
    My 03 does that but only at start up. So I can't really say...but ck that box first
  6. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Steering is probably your steering stabilizer. Especially if it's original.

I'd bet good money you're getting water in the fuse box, GEM or power distribution box somehow.

When does it quit working? Rain or humidity? Or only when it's dry?
  7. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

More often than not, you are just low on brake fluid in the master cylinder. There is a level sensor in the resivore and when it gets to a certen point, it will kick the parking brake light on and as the float moves it may come and go. My guess is your brake linings are about ready to be changed and that is why it is coming on.