1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brake fluid leak

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by streetsurfin', Jan 5, 2008.

1. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Over a week ago, I blew a brake line on the 96 Ram. It is up next to the gas tank as it runs along the frame rail. I limped it home and it has been parked in the drive since. Reasons for that....1. pinched a nerve in my neck painting ceilings at home at the same time. 2. Tank is near full and this may require dropping it. So I am waiting to fell well enough to work on it in the drive, and was waiting for better weather, having no room to pull it in the garage. Looks like this weekend is the chance to get after it.

This truck seemed exceptionally clean for the age and mileage, so it would surprise me if the line is rusted out. Maybe the proportioning valve went leaky. I haven't given it much of a look other than narrowing down the location of the leak, because of the neck pain.

My concern is, if it is a rusted line, having driven it home and that it sat for this long, will there be much of a chance of serious contamination of the system by salt, rust, or dirt that may have weeped in through the point that is leaking? Should the wheel cylinders be dissassembled and cleaned out or just flushed well as I bleed the system after the new parts (line or valve) are installed. Thanks for the help.

sorry for the lengthy explanation, but I figure it is better to be thorough, than having to field a bunch of questions before I can get an answer.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Contamination isn't really an issue... usually when they rust out, it's nothing but a very tiny pin hole in the line anyway so it's very unlikely anything could get in (only brake fluid out).

Don't bother disassembling the wheel cylinders. Once you get the system all sealed back up, simply bleeding it to remove the air will also purge the old fluid and any contaminates out anyway..

A thorough brake system flush is a good idea to do periodically on any truck.. generally every 2 years is a good idea, and excellent preventative maintenance.

3. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Besides if it is next to the tank Don't drop it just run a line from back of to the front of tank and flare both ends . No need to drop tank. I have literally replaced hundreds of lines and never had to drop a tank yet.

4. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

streetsurfin,
    i just had my 97 and 99 rams blow the exact same lines, i guess salt builds up behind the tank. my dealer dropped the tank on my 97 to replace the factory line, the 99 is a stake bed so they could work up top. i'm a little worried now that the rest of the lines could be close to bursting so i'll probably buck up and get them all replaced. the ones i can see from under the hood look pretty bad already.
    i wouldn't worry about contamination, i'd be a little more concerned the bleeder screws would brealk loose. if mine hadn't dodge was going to try and bleed them from a fitting

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  5. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Thank you all for the advice! I had a longer reply with points of gratitiude for each of you but I hit the wrong key and it all went away. Can't find the undo button. Oh well, Thanks much. I do appreciate it.

6. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

Like the other post there is no reason to drop the tank. i have replaced tons of lines and never had a problem. i just did mine on my chevy truck. just ran new line next to the old one. it will take no longer then an hr to run new line and to bleed the system. its no biggie, if u want to take it somewhere ur looking at approx 150 bucks. do it urself if u can. save some money. brake line is approx 25 bucks with fitting.

7. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

my 97 ran about 400.00 because of dropping the tank but it was the middle of a snow storm and i couldn't get free to do it, dodge didn't really want to "customize" my brake lines