1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brake fluid flush?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by MOWBIZZ, Jan 21, 2010.

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Had the truck at the dealer for some warranty work (stabilizer link bushings) and asked them to look over anything that needed service. Heck, I work this thing pretty hard, plowing so I know preventative maintenance is a good idea. I asked them to service the rear end and transfer case as well. The service manager called and told me that in addition I should replace the fuel filter (okay with that) and flush the brake fluid, which I never heard of.
    Anyway, I googled the brake fluid flush and almost everything I found said it was a good thing to do this as brake fluid attracts water/moisture like a sponge and it severely increases it's boiling point and effectiveness. I am having them do it. The biggest reason I'm doing it is because this 2004 F250 Super Duty sat for a couple of years with limited use...I bought it in 2007 with 5000 miles on it! The previous owner stopped using it for commuting when gas prices started to soar. The truck was (and still is) pristine and I want to keep it as long as I can...
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  2. 7.3 Plower

7.3 Plower Senior Member

Is there a question in there somewhere? If you've got any kind of mechanical knowledge you can get yourself some speedbleeders from O'Reilly's or you can get a Motive Products brake bleeding setup. It's basically a pressure vessel that attaches to your brake fluid reservoir and keeps pressure on it like someone's foot on the brake pedal. Follow the directions on the thing and then work from the caliper furthest from the reservoir to the one closest.

The bleeder from Motive products was around 50$ last I checked and then you've only got to pay for the fluid after that. Just my $.02

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Was just wondering what others thought of a brake fluid flush...I can't work on my back in the cold any more...no shop/garage and it's the middle of winter as you know. Thanks for the insight though...:drinkup:
  4. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

A 2004 MY is about due for a flush yes, probably a little less so given the low low mileage on yours, but no harm done...I need to do a couple of mine this spring.
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You figure the little volume the brakes lines would hold and the volume the calipers & Cylinders hold. It makes sense to change the fluid when you do a brake job or at the suggested interval. Think about how much fluid you add when the brakes are near worn out. All that contaminated fluid is now all the way into the brake circuits.