1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brake Controller Install On '09 Ram?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by DeereFarmer, May 2, 2009.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Has anyone installed a brake controller on a '09 Ram 1500? My buddy doesn't have the towing package. If I remember correctly, there should be a plug in for the 7 round at the rear and maybe a plug in for the brake controller under the dash even though he doesn't have the full towing package. Am I correct or am I going to have to hardwire it in? The truck is so new I havn't even taken a look at it yet.
  2. M1N1TRK

M1N1TRK Member

Well first off if he "DOESN'T" have the tow package there will not be any wires running to the back for anything, I dont even think it comes with the pysical tow hitch.

What type of trailer does he plan on towing with a 1500 that you will need a brake controller???? It almost seams that the trailer is too big for the truck but thats just my 2 cents.

But as far as I know if the truck did not come with the tow package, then there are no wires running from the front to the back at all for any type of trailer. You may be able to purchase the harness from dodge and install it yourself but im sure it will be very expensive. The other option you have is to purchase the inline plug system from autozone or something that has the 4 pin blade connection and install that but you wont be able to connect brakes with that.

Good luck let us know what happens.
  3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Sorrry I forgot to update this thread. The job is done. He's towing a small 17' or something camper with electric brakes on it. His truck is an '08 NOT an '09 like he said. He forgot that it was a leftover. Anyway, he had no towing package at all, but there was a 4 flat trailer connector in the back from the factory. All Dodge Rams come with them stock I guess. There was also a wire back there that was run from the cab for the brake controller. In the cab there was a plug in for the brake controller. All I had to do was install the htich, get a converter from the 4 flat wiring to a 7 round, connect the factory wire to the 7 round for the brake controller, get a pigtail for the brake controller, and finally just plug it in to the factory plug in port. All in all took me MAYBE 1.5 hours. It was really easy.