1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brake controller hookup

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JCI Trans, Feb 19, 2009.

1. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

The guy i work with has an '04 GMC 1500 Reg Cab.long bed with the 4.8 V8. He is looking to install a trailer brake controller. This truck did not come with a factory hitch (one has been added) and it currently has a 4 pin flat trailer connector. A 7 pin RV Connector will be installed, so my question is then: Is this truck wired to take GM's trailer brake controller plug under the dash? if not it will have to be directly wired into the truck. Any input would be great, thank you!!

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

3. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Wow very detailed!! thank you!

4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

etrailer.com is the best site for anything related to hitch and wiring stuff. I install hitches, wiring, and brake controllers at work and also do a ton of trailer re-wires on travel trailers, utility, boat trailer, ect... I still use this site atleast once a day. I lvoe it. If you have any specific querstions JCI Trans, let me know, I'll be able to walk you through it. It's really easy.

5. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Great, thanks for the offer, he should be buying the controller in a couple weeks before he picks up his trailer.

6. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

first off etrailer sucks... talk about low balling that site just pisses me off! :realmad:
    but why are you going to go with a factory brake control/ you should go with a tekonsha prodigy by far the best brake controler on the market! there is a brake hook up under the dash on that truck basically under where your ebrake is, you take the cover off and plug it in to i believe the second spot top left corner... you might also have a plug in connection for your 7 way connector if you reach your hand under the spare tire... and you can purchase that at your local hitch shop or chevy dealer, along with your trailer brake control adapter the brake adapt. is a part # 20264

7. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

He will not be using a factory brake controller, my question was whether or not a truck without a factory towing package or 7 pin had the provisions under the dash to plug in the factory brake controller wiring harness that comes in the glove box when you buy a truck with the towing package. It seem it does not, but thanks to you guys i was provided with very detailed photo instructions of how to add it in..thanks again!

8. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

I owned an '03 1500 that did not come with the towing package. The wiring harness under the rear bumper was ready to plug into when I added a Class 3 hitch with 7-wire plug. The trailer brake connector in the glove box plugged right into the fuse block under the dash and everything worked perfectly. The only thing missing was the fuse that powers the battery lead to the rear plug so as soon as I added the fuse it was all perfect. No splicing, no tracing, no hassles. It took me far longer to mount the trailer brake controller than to plug in the harness. If I remember correctly, there was a wire position switch in the 02/03 timeframe where using the adapter from one year on a different year would screw up something, but as long as you use the one that came with your truck it should all work fine!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  9. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I'll have to take the cover off of the panel and take a look, would be great if its gonna be that easy.

10. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Also check underneath the truck near the spare tire and see if you havea direct plug in for the 7 way round plug in the rear. It will be a large round female connector with a cap on it with 7 wires going into it. More than likely it's under there.