1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brake Control

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DAPOINT, Jun 30, 2006.

1. DAPOINT

DAPOINT Junior Member

I'm planning on wiring a Tekonsh Primus brake control in a 96 GMC 1500. The instructions say to connect the red wire from the brake control to the cold side of the brake switch. Tekonsh does not offer a factory harness for this truck so I have to hard wire it. Does anyone have a wiring schematic for this brake switch or know which wire to splice into? Whole bunch of wires and switch is tough to get at. Any help would be great.

2. 98Chevy2500

98Chevy2500 Senior Member

Dark Brown wire is brake lights on all chevy's. Just tap into it on the engine side of firewall and feed back in to the cab. It will be in a group that includes 'brown, green, yellow, light green, and poss white(ground)'. A test light comes in handy to make sure you got the right wire.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The brake signal wire is easy to find. First check your convenience box located on the left side of the divers foot well for a terminal marked neutral, test it, you might pick up the signal there 97 was the first year it was suppose to be available but I have seen it on some late model year 96's. If not you have to go to the stop light switch. It seems tough but it's not.
    First remove lower plastic dash panel. behind it you will find a steel tube that is a dash support. remove it, there are only a couple bolts holding it, you want to remove the short section directly below the steering wheel. After removing the bar the stop light switch will be easy to access. splice in to the white wire. use a test light to confirm, use the white wire any other cold side signal is for the cruise control and is not usable for this purpose. reassemble. It takes about ten minutes, but it's the easy way. Make sure you ground the unit directly to the battery. DO NOT PROBE ANY WIRE WITH YELLOW TAPE ON IT, that signifies airbag and some of them are low side switched and the test light will set them off. Post again or PM me if you have issues. Let us know how it works. the Purmis is a good unit, I really like the Prodigy, super user friendly and soft braking, never know the trailers there.

4. 98Chevy2500

98Chevy2500 Senior Member

Basher-

When did chevy start using the white wire for brake lights?

I own a 92', 98', and two 99', and all brake lights are brown and most white are ground.

Maybe I am missing something somewhere.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

88 model year. I'm only referring to the wires at the brake light switch and in the main bundle in the cab. Your 98 has a cold side brake light pick up in the convenience box in the cab behind the parking brake. it's marked neutral. I think in 98 they where also still using white wire for the CMSL in the rear. They later changed to blue because too many people where confusing it for a ground. In my experience the brown on GM has always been parking lights, they may use a brown striped wire for cruise control signal in between the switch and cruise computer. Theckonsa specifies not using the cruise control signal, I don't know what it would do with a chevy but it creates havoc on the t300 Dodge Ram.
    The General uses black wire for grounds.