1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brake cleaner to clean Western Motor

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by finh2o, Jan 3, 2016.

1. finh2o

finh2o Junior Member

Alright men this is a two part question.
    I took my western unimount motor apart because I was leaking fluid between the motor base plate and the actual motor.
    Question 1
    Can I just silcone the motor housing to the base plate?
    Question 2
    What have you guys used to clean the motor? WD or brake cleaner or a combination of both.
    To be clear I'm talking about the motor and not the pump. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks men. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

2. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

There should be a gasket between the motor and housing, i would not use silicone as a gasket for fear of a piece of silicone tearing off and getting in the reservoir and possibly causing problems (if gasket paper is not handy a cereal box will work to make one). Any solvent will work as long as your not spraying inside the motor, if you do spray inside the motor i recommend a cleaner specifically for that as it will dry leaving no residue .

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

1). NO, USE THE PROPER GASKET. It's cheep.
    2). I've done it for years and never had any issues.

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

What do bird sounds have to do with pump?

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

know wonder you have 10k post in such a short amount of time :gunsfiring: