1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brake chatter

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jsc824, Nov 25, 2011.

1. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

I was having some chatter in the peddle when braking going over 30 ish mph which was worse at highway speeds. The truck is a 97 k1500. It has new drums on the back as of about 6 months ago. I replaced the rotors today thinking they were warped and go figure the damn chatter is still there although seems to be better. Any ideas? I'm starting to think the drums may be out of wack and may need to be turned but I am far from a mechanic. Any help or ideas as what to look for?

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

chatter is usually caused by something binding.....did you lube the calipers?....when was the last time you flushed the brake fluid?...after a few years the fluid thickens and will not let the brake pistons flow freely....sounds like the front but do them all....sometimes the rear drums will get hard spots, turning will tell...i would start with the fluid having been there done that!