1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brake bleeder screw help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by WOODY367, Dec 23, 2010.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Any way to remove frozen bleeder srews from wheel cylenders? I have been soaking them with no luck. Don't want to replace them unless its the last resort.
  2. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Replace the whole wheel cylinder, they're about $15 from napa. B.F.D. then you have a clean non-rusted slate.
  3. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

sometimes i will just a propane torch to heat them up to unfreeze them. But dont get them too hot or you will have to replace the wheel cylinder
  4. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I agree... Actually, they're probably more like 8 or 9 bucks... I wouldn't screw around with them too much for that little bit of dough.
  5. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

The price is not the issue. Everything is so rusted I did not want to open up a can of worm thaking the brake apart.Wukk try the heat and if not will have to replace them. Thanks
  6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

If your going to replace the line just cut the line at the fitting and get a socket on there.
  7. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

heat the bleader screw up till starting to glow red. then dump cold water on it asap. this extream temp change will shick it and work the rust loose. works all the time for me. some times you need to do it 2-3 times and it will work loose.

also use only 6 point socket to break them loose and then once moving only 6 point wrench. 12 point rounds hem off fast.

and fyi the little boot that comes on them keeps crap out of the bleader and keeps them from rusting. put the boot back on when done.
  8. Megunticook

Megunticook Senior Member
    from Maine

Can you get 6-point box wrench on there? Or a deep 6-pt socket?

Use a good penetrant (Kroil, PB Blaster, for ex.) and tap the bleeder repeatedly with a hammer (to help the oil penetrate).

I was in your shoes a few years ago with my '73--finally ended up rebuilding the whole brake system.

When you replace the bleeder, get a stainless steel speed bleeder and antiseize the threads.

If you end up replacing any brake lines (if things are that corroded down there, you may have some lines getting ready to blow out under hard brake application), use Cunifer, the nickel/copper alloy that won't rust. Excellent stuff, has totally solved the rusty brake line issue for me.

Good luck. I know that's not a fun job to tackle.
  9. damian

damian Senior Member

i suspect your trying to loosen the bleeders to bleed system after replacing a rotted line.just bleed the system from the fitting on the line you replaced might give you better results than you think.i understand not wanting to replace wheel cyls on an old truck and opening the can of worms.good luck
  10. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Thanks guys. Haven't try anything yet been to busy. And now with 12"+ on the way it will have to wait.Wish I had a warm shop to work in. Happy Holidays.
  11. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

AND when you put the bleader in, use neverseize on it. so you dont have to gop through this again.
  12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I use my little Map/Oxygen torch to heat JUST THE BLEEDER SCREW to red hot. I do it 3 times and let it cool after each heating.It burns oxidation (rust) out of the threads. But not enough to heat up the wheel cylinder/caliper and cause damage. I have not killed one yet. Replace the bleeder screw after you get it out.Be very careful when you try to break the bleeder screw loose. Any side torque will snap it off. I then use our old friend to protect the connection/threads. Dielectric grease! A little bit on the threads and a smear around the junction of screw and wheel cylinder. I then laugh at broken brake lines. I can bleed anything I need to!