1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

brake and reverse lights

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by killed300ex, Jan 15, 2006.

1. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

Have a problem on my 1996 dodge ram 2500 318 with 5 spd. The problem is that the brake and reverse lights are coming on at the same time. If i shift into reverse the brake and back up lights come on. Also when i step on the brake i get the same result. The brakes turn on and off with the truck turned off still affecting the reverse lights, with the truck off puting it into reverse doesnt do anything only when the truck is on does it turn the lights on. Wondering if anyone had an idea what could cause this. Also i am getting a sense that the brakes are on from my brake controller in the cab not sure if that would help.
    Need to get this fixed any ideas
    Thanks evan
  2. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Two words 4 ya - BAD GROUND....Look into it....Rob
  3. motoxdk24

motoxdk24 Member

thats it, id turn my turn signal on and my fuse would pop. nothing would work then. bad ground for sure.
  4. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

does anyone know were all of the groudns are on my truck? Wondering were i should start checking the grounds
  5. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

If you have a trailer plug I'd check that first ,take it apart and make sure there is no corrosion inside . Also check where it connects into the rear harness . It could also be a corroded bulb in tail/brake/backup light. Some times you get lucky , sometime not .