1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brain scratcher

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Chevman, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Chevman

Chevman Junior Member
    from NE PA

04 2500 hd is using water, no leaks any where I can see, no water on dip stick and no steam out the exchaust pipe, any one have any ideas, had a dye test done and they can't find anything.wesport

2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

How much are you adding?

3. Chevman

Chevman Junior Member
    from NE PA

It's been using about a quart every two weeks.xysport

4. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

Check to see if you have a block heater. I'd never heard of one on a gasser till mine failed and began leaking. The heater is a freeze plug, so you can just have it removed and replaced with a regular plug.

5. Chevman

Chevman Junior Member
    from NE PA

Do not have one, they already checked that out also, I am stumped.

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Have your cooling system pressure tested, I bet your heater core is leaking.

ICindrich "Check to see if you have a block heater. I'd never heard of one on a gasser "
    That made me chuckle:D (not a slam):nono: It just does not get as cold in your area as it does here.
    I live in northern MN, remember the most northern part of Maine is further south than Minneapolis MN. It gets kind of cold around here now and then.
    They put block heaters, tank heaters in just about every thing lol, It's uncommon to find a vehicle with out one. They all so add a battery blanket(a heater for your battery).

7. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

Here in RI you barely even have to plug in the diesel trucks, never mind the gassers! This winter you barely even have to wear long pants!!

8. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Check on the passengerside between the fender well the engine and the radiator... there is a plastic Y/T-type of connection in that area... My fathers truck has this mysterious leak no drips not steam nothing just would use antifreeze. Turns out that plastic Y/T had a hairline crack.

9. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Sno Farmer: Actually a significant portion of Maine is further North than Minneapolis.

Minneapolis, MN is 44.98 degrees North Latitude.

Moscow, Maine is 45 degrees North Latitude (less than halfway from Southern to Northern extreme)

Madawaska, Maine is 47.36 degrees North Latitude - The northernmost organized town but not the northern most point.

Angle Inlet, MN is 49.35 degrees North Latitude - The northernmos identifaible point in Minnesote I could find in the atlas.

Latitudes found at: www.lat-long.com

10. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

That was pretty cool.41.85 in my town in northern CT

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Your right.!!...
    I guess, I don't know my up form down..:dizzy:

12. Chevman

Chevman Junior Member
    from NE PA

You are not going to believe this one, today I had a local garage take a look and with the dye still in the system he found it leaking around the radiator cap, few bucks spent and we will see what happens, thanks for your help, this site is awesome.:waving:

13. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I thought that Maine-Minnesota comment was wrong, but I was afraid to say anything.

14. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

I looked it up to make sure I was right. I've been known to insert my foot firmly and squarely in my mouth. I don't like the taste of leather!

A teacher I had a long time ago said something about true knowledge being the ability to find the answers rather than memorizing them.

15. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I think alot of people forget just how HUGE the state of Maine is. My house is closer to Washington, DC then it is to the Northernmost point in Maine yet I can get to the Maine Border in just about an hour if Iam going fast enough. People forget about Caribou, Presque Isle, Houlton, Fort Kent, St Agatha, etc to most people Maine is the coast and then anything east/north of a line from Ellsworth to Bangor to the Moosehead Lake area everyone forgets about.

16. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

'
    I went to Houlton once. Amity, actually. Long day in a truck that wouldnt do over 65 mph.

17. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes its a very looooooooong way!!! Its easy to underestimate for people in new england because you say oh its Maine it cant be that far. HAHA 12 hours later.

I have been all the way up route 1 to Fort Kent, not much up there, would not want to live there thats for sure. They can get good snow but its generally flatter and not as nice looking as the rest of Maine.