1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bragging rights

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Detroitdan, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

While out plowing I encountered a school bus that had been run off the road by a speeding vehicle. She came to rest out in the dirt and gravel (mud) perpendicular to the road due to the corner. This is a fullsize Genesis style chassis bus. Guy hooks onto the back of it with a late model F350 Superduty diesel 4x4, tugs and pulls and spins a couple tires. After a couple minutes of accomplishing nothing we switch places. The bus was so far off the road I only had my front wheels on the pavement. I tugged on it a few times and got it out of the holes she had dug down trying to back out. By then I had dug two huge holes with my rears, so I unhitched and moved the truck over a couple feet. Then I dragged it across the mud and ruts back up onto the road, spewing black diesel smoke and blue tire smoke everywhere. It was the coolest thing ever, and it was only made more special by accomplishing what the Ford couldn't do.

Obviously, the Superduty has more HP and torque than my old beast, and is considerably faster, but I have enough torque to do anything I want. Add to that that I have 6 swampers with a locker and 4:10s, as opposed to four weenie A/T tires. I also had a ton of weight in the back and a half-ton hanging on the front. Obviously not apples to apples, but fact of the matter was his " super doody" went home with it's tail between it's legs.
  2. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Nicely done....i've had my fair share of truimphant recoveries as well and it does make you feel good about your truck!!
  3. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

nicely done! And it does not matter ford, dodge or chevy the bus was pulled out and the bus company saved some of our tax money.
  4. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Good job, way to save the kids!

I remember a few years ago there was a youtube video of a guy in a SuperDuty pulling tractor trailers off a snow covered highway out in the midwest. it was a news article, not a commercial.

Still, good job.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I pulled out a school bus (empty) a few years ago with my old 89 half ton. LIttle 305 TBI and tall gears. Don't remember if I used low range. Wasn't buried, but the tires were down in the goo about 6-8 inches. Pulled her out no problem, much to the suprise of the driver. Have pulled out dozens of vehicles with the 97 2500. Pulled a 1/2 ton pickup up over a very steep banking, off the road at least 30 feet. They were very impressed, buy mostly very happy I got them out before the cops started asking too many questions. Also pulled out a Ford last winter. F-350, PSD, 9 foot Fisher, loaded 2 yard sander. Had to pull him about 200 feet along the side of the driveway until it turned and I could get him back on the drive. Have never taken a dime for any of them. I have been pulled out twice this year. It's nice to help others, and have friends you can call in a pinch.
  6. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

My Uncle used to own/operate a motocross track and one weekend we got a ton of rain
    the morning of one of his races.

We had to tow just about every vehicle out of the parking lot. Of course it was a foot deep mud and getting worse by the minute. We had 2 tractors, my Uncles 4X4 Ford with big wide knarly tires, My brother inlaw with his Ford 4X4 with big wide tires and I had my full size Blazer with taller narrow tires..

I pulled the motorhomes with trailers behind them. The other guys could only pull the 2x4 trucks and cars out....

I couldnt believe how that old blazer pulled stuff out of crap.... Drove that thing till it rusted apart, (and that wasnt that long)
  7. lawnmasters2006

lawnmasters2006 Senior Member

all fun an games,until the chain snaps from wanking on it an bust out one of those front windshields an fly threw the bus....maybe hit some kids...leave those jobs to a tow truck..sure isnt worth the risk....but its kool u pulled it out...
  8. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I just want to get this right, so you are bragging that yours has after market lockers and better tires? :jester:
  9. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

Oh Boy!!

Another Ford vs. GM vs. Dodge debate. These are always fun!

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

a cummins ram would have hooked to the front of the ford that was hooked to the bus, and pulled them both out in 2WD.
  11. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Does it really matter Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota what ever. It is a personal choice as to what brand you are loyal too.. Lets not start this debate. Because all in all it still and will never matter what brand anyone person is loyal too.
  12. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I pulled a rabbit out of my hat..Really....
  13. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

I guess my first post here must of got lost,of may be I got lost, however to say it nicely: 1 if your on a public road in my opinion ( for what its worth) dont be doing any recovery work, unless your insured for it. 2. It all comes down to traction. Use a extreme example. Put a 4X4 on ice and a 2wd on paved surface, chances are the 2wd will be able to haul whatever(depending on the weight of course) out and the 4x4 wont. Wider tires do not give you more traction.
  14. Detroitdan

man I hate when I type a long post and my login times out. here I go again, shorter this time.

There were no kids on the bus. That wouldn't have been safe and I would have told the guy in the Ford not to pull, and wait for a heavy wrecker. Probably would have had to call a second bus to take the kids, too.
    The chain couldn't go through our windshields, we were facing away from each other. I don't pull with proof coil, alloy 3/8 is plenty strong enough for what I was doing. And chain is heavy, it usually drops to the ground when a link breaks. So does winch line, contrary to popular belief. The offroad crowd makes a big deal out of covering winch lines so they don't lash, and it's not a bad idea to be safe, but they just don't usually lash. I've broken winch lines and they've always just dropped to the ground. In fact I broke a 5/8 line winching on an overturned tractor trailer, and it just fell to the ground.

A Cummins in 2wd hooked to the Ford probably would have added enough extra pulling power to help the Ford pull the bus out, because it would have been on the pavement. But why would you use 2wd when 4 low is available, and it helps to compound the power you are putting to the ground? If the Ram had enough balls to spin it's tires, then that's what it would have done when chained to that much weight. Low range would have prevented that, plus being in 4wd allows the front tires that have the weight on them to help.

I don't have aftermarket lockers, I have a stock factory rear locker. And the tires I bought because I was tired of spinning all the time when plowing offroad. I have some nasty dirt lanes and lots I plow, and my A/T tires just sucked. Not my fault if I have more aggressive tires than him. If he wanted to put some swampers on, and have a rear locker, and some weight on board, then I'm sure he could have pulled the bus out like I did. And they aren't real wide tires, they're only 255s.

A 4wd will generally pull more than a 2wd because you have the option of 4 low, so comparing the 4x4 n ice to 2wd on tar isn't a real good comparison. Besides, we weren't on ice, we were in snow and mud. A 2wd could not have done anything where I was, off the road.

I do not need special insurance to pull out a stuck vehicle. There is a Good Samaritan law that protects you from liability if you are trying to help someone. As long as you try to use due care and don't do anything ********, like yanking on a bus filled with children.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i know the benifits of 4wd compaired to 2wd, im just saying the cummins would have pulled the ford and the bus out with the ford in park, thats the kind of power the cummins makes, and it doesnt matter if its on ice, or snow it would have still pulled it out in 2wd, because lets face it, its a cummins.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  16. Detroitdan

Is the Cummins in question unable to spin it's tires? Even when in 2wd high range, chained to 20-25,000 lbs of stuck dead weight?

Not to knock the Cummins, because I know they are capable of making some serious power, but there are limitations to everything. And I'm assuming you're talking about a newer Cummins, what was it 2001 or so when they went with the HO? Because a Cummins the same year as mine, with a stock engine, would not scare me.
  17. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

18. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

Couldn't help myself...I just love my Duramax... It really doesn't matter what the truck had been. Fact is it was his and he was there at the right time. Nice going. Be safe, and keep pulling.
  19. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

3 possibilities here: 1.You're joking--2. You're dillusional--comes from inhaling too many fumes from the Dmax in front of you from the race you challenged him to:nod:{You're in a Chevy discussion site here you know,what do you expect?} or 3.You really don't know that all the power in the world has absolutely nothing to do with the right gearing and traction.A Chevy 6 banger with low gearing and aggressive tall tires in 4 Lo also could have pulled that bus out.Of course a good driver also helps big time.--Let's hope it's #1 so we don't have to hear all your Cummins rhetoric because this thread has nothing to do with who's is more powerful.