1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Box V. Blade??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bowtie_guy, Feb 3, 2008.

1. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Talking about backhoes and loaders here not pickup trucks. :)

My buddy works for a smaller company and I have done some pushing with him. He has a cat hoe with a 16' blade with angle on it. Plows mainly commercial parking lots. Works awsome.

Another local contractor runs all pusher boxes. I never have worked with these before but actually saw one in action the other day while in traffic. Seems ok but no angle so you can't seem to windrow piles as you go?? Maybe I'm missing something but figured people who run em can help me understand their pros v. cons of the blade.

Thanks

Not the best quality but ya get the idea.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Video in action, buddy of ours was testing it so not exactly efficient in this.
    http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=JHIBBHYmK48

2. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

The blades are used for windrowing like you mentioned, and the boxes are used mainly to move the snow.

The boxes move large amounts of snow that has already been grouped or windrowed. They are useful if you have to take the snow to the other end of a long parking lot...

Push boxes are usually used along w/ angle blades (truck mounted or machine mounted)

I'm sure others will chime in w/ useful information...

3. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Thats how we operate. On a big lot the blades make five or six windrows throughout the lot and then the pusher on the loader comes in and pushes them to the end of the lot. The loaders with buckets on them do all the back dragging if needed. I would like to get a large blade for one of the loaders, but we work with what we got. Thats my 2 cents.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We have one large site that only use's a 12ft pusher. It's a steel edged Horst with spring tripped end plates. These endplate's allow you to push clean to the curb without wrecking the curb and not leaving any snow. It really depends on the lot, what blade you use. This lot we do is about 8 acres but they want all the snow in basically 2 piles, so there is basically no windrowing done so the pusher is the best. Look at the lots you do, then decide.

5. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Cool thanks for the replies. Makes sence I get it now.

4X4farmer, got any vids of the process?? xysport

On another note Dave, I was sort of around your place this past weekend, down in Milton for a short time Friday. Also March 29th, going to be in Georgetown for a dyno day!!

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Is that at Turner? I'm like 5 minutes from Georgetown. I would like to go to that Dyno day, never been to one.

7. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member