1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

box trucks?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by vis, Sep 7, 2008.

1. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

Anyone ever use a box truck for shovel crews?

I have one that I use for maitenance, with split gates in the rear. I was thinking of setting it up with 2 pallets of ice melt, shovels, snow blowers and a 3 man crew...

only thing stopping me is that it is 2wd. Most of my sites are close together and on main roads, I am just unsure how the truck would handle in poor conditions.

I am going to assume that I need to add chains/GOOD snow tires on the rear......

Just looking for advice from those who may have tried this or are currently doing it and how it works out..

2. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

first i thought you were nuts and were gonna plow with it. Then i read the thread was like ok hes not nuts hes just trying to make it useful during the winter. Do any of your shovel guys have any skills like indoor construction cabnets molding that kind of junk? I wouldnt wanna be out in a storm in the thing but snow tires and alot of weight youd be fine just take it easy.
  3. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

indoor construction...no why?

Anyone else use this setup?
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

i think he means racks to store stuff you don't want stuff sliding around. If your going to throw that much salt in the back you'll need so tie downs so those pallets don't go through the sides.
  5. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

tie it down.................................hmmmmmmmmmmmmm what a novel idea

mabey thats whywe go through a dozen or so push spreaders at the mall lol
  6. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

That too but i was also thinking along the lines of putting them to work doing other things when its not snowing. I also wouldnt go to the point of thinking youd need chains with good tires and weight of two pallets
  7. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

those are good plower if it is F350 with dually that have box on it.

My friend have one I think his is 97 with 7.3L it plow good with 2 blocks of steel that weight close 2,000 pounds.

He say one problem when push so much snow if dually get snow it be tougher to get unstuck then we install winch on rear bumper when it get stuck use winch it would moving truck.
  8. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

yeah I would probably come up with a way to stack the bags along the walls of the truck so the weight is over the wheels and I can still load machines in and out.

Not sure how it would be set up totally, but I guess like you said, with good tires, good weight in the back it should work...
  9. windrowsnow

windrowsnow Senior Member
    from nw ohio

theres a company around me that uses gmc 3500 dually box trucks for their sidewalk crews...haul liquid and god knows how many blowers.....i saw two crews pull up to a huge job and i thought mexicans were jumping out thats how many there were lol turned out like 15 guys piled out of two box trucks....talk about unsafe
  10. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

as i recentley put in another thread... i have seen it done

an worked great from what i could tell

2 atvs, 4-5 single stage blowers, 2 - 2sstage, 2 pallets of salt, i mean it was packed, like 5 guys... great idea, you could even tow, only problem is what to do the rest of the year with it
  11. windrowsnow

windrowsnow Senior Member
    from nw ohio

another company uses just box trucks for fert. if ur a big snow and fert lco it would work out perfect