1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

box truck- shovel crew

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by vis, Oct 3, 2007.

1. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

I have a UD 2 wheel drive 15ft box truck that i use for mowing. It has 2 ramps on the back, so im thinking putting a pallet of ice melt (over the rear axle), 2 or 3 snow blowers,hanging shovels on the walls, and putting fuel and other misc tools/supplies in the racks up front. This way everything is kept dry and there is enough machines for a 3 man crew at large jobs. The ramps are heavy, but are expanded metal so they give decent traction.

the only problem is 2 wheel drive...its not really a problem on the roads, but some times the crew gets to the job before the plow truck and has to pull into a lot with several inches of snow in it..... any one else in a similar situation, or used a similar setup?

i would get good snow tires for the back, and definitally chain them up.. but am i just asking for trouble?

The crew currently uses a 4x4 pickup truck, but i think this year it will become a plow truck...the box truck currently just sits all winter with mowers and trimmers stored in side.

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

If there is plenty of weight in the back and they drive smart it shouldn't be a big deal. I drive around most of the winter in my pickup with about 700 in the bed and pull into plenty of unplowed lots or through fields and no problems if I take my time and avoid drifts.

3. plowwed

plowwed Junior Member
    from USA

Box Truck

You should be fine, if needed just throw one more pallet of salt in the back

4. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

Two wheel drive should not be a problem as long as there is enough weight in it. We plow with several trucks and two of them are isuzu cab overs. We run blizzard 810s and 3yd sanders on them. They will plow circles around any other truck. We also have a box truck that we use for shoveling. We put two pallets of ice melt and 3 snow blowers in it. Runs fine in the snow. Make shure you put good tires on it. Good luck with the truck.:jester:

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Most of the bigger companies around here do the exact same thing. Have a yank strap with the truck in case it gets stuck. The first plow truck there can Yank it out. With good snow tries and a good driver getting stuck should be rare. Might even bolt tow hooks on front and back to make it easy to yank.

6. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I think its a great idea. I think being able to used your equipment year round is totally the ticket. I personaly would hate seeing any of my machines sitting when its snowing. Plus having a dedicated tuck for shoveling will make your plowing guys way happier when they dont' have to get out and shovel themselves.

Good luck

Peterbilt