1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

box scraper building

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cwjr, Jul 21, 2014.

1. cwjr

cwjr Junior Member

I am new to this forum, I have a line on a airport snow contract for my John deere 544E wheel loader with quick attach. I am a heavy equipment mechanic and pretty handy with a welder. Just wondering if anyone has plans for building a 14 foot box scraper? Thank you
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Might just be easier to buy one. I have seen first hand that building one can turn wrong fast.
  3. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Might be cheaper to buy as well
  4. scottr

scottr Senior Member

CW, if your not actively seeking work or getting paid to work after hours and on the weekends, then it will be way cheaper to build one yourself. All you'll have into it is materials. Your time does not factor into the price. ( again, if your talking weekends and after your full time job) if your sitting around watching TV, then, that time is worth nothing when it comes to the cost of building a box blade for yourself, in fact, now your making money. If your indeed a fabricator and welder, this will be an easy project. If I were to build one, I think I'd look for some 36-48" pipe ( not sure how tall you want) split it, tack the two together. Pick up the hooks or balderson style attaching points, build a frame work for the back side from some Sq. tubing, build your wings, get it all mocked up, double check your measurements, and weld it up. Make sure your angle of attack is good. Bam, your have a 16-20' box blade worth ??. Find one you like and get ideas.
    Just my 2 cents worth.