1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

box pusher rubber or metal blade

Discussion in 'Pro-Tech Sno Pushers' started by jaxx-jaxx, Oct 10, 2008.

1. jaxx-jaxx

jaxx-jaxx Junior Member

I am going to buy a 12 foot pro tec box pusher for a back hoe a metal trip edge is $2000 more in my area i need to know some advantages or disadvantages for each which is better and why.

2. GSJ

GSJ Junior Member
    from W. MI

I looked at both also. I was told that the metal trip edge is harder on the machine and will damage asphalt easier. I don't think the protech trip edge design trips as easily or effectively as a Arctic sectional pusher. I opted for the rubber edge. You could pay the big bucks and get one with both edges.

3. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

trip edge over rated, stick wit rubber or poly

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

How many trip edges do you own? IMO steel edge trip is the only way to go. It saves on salt and scrapes hard pack. It cost us alot of money to trade all of our rubber edges in on steel trips and there is no way I would even think about buying a rubber edge again. Once you go steel there is no going back. JMO

5. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I agree with Dave and have had to do the same. Now if you want to learn the hard way-knock yourself out.

6. NorthernSvc's

don't need to go all personal jd, i was giving my opinion.

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I wasn't getting personal, I asked a question, too many people are quick to give advice on stuff they don't know. All I was asking was how many pushers you own? If you own a steel trip and a rubber edge, then you can comment. Sorry for the confusion.:drinkup:

8. NorthernSvc's

im cheap all i got is 3 pushers with poly edges... they work for me. maybe 1 or 2 snows during the winter when i gotta go over it with a steel blade ( with a pickup or bigger truck), usually with the wet snows, but other than that the do a fairly decent job. IMO less moving parts to maintain also. just my .02C

9. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I've never had poly edges, just rubber and steel trip. I'd imagine poly would work better than rubber.

10. big pusher

big pusher Senior Member
    from ohio

I have 2 rubber edge pro-techs and definatly want to try a steel trip edge. I feel the rubber edge causes a thin layer of ice to form making it difficult to get traction causing us to use extra salt to be able to regain traction for plowing. With the increased price of salt, the initial additional cost of the trip edge makes alot more sense this year.

11. cjm8232

cjm8232 Member

Hi I work for Pro-Tech and will say that the IST Steel Trip Edge is not harder on the machine than the rubber edge. I think that is an old stereotype based on other steel edges, some of which were non trip. Also, some other manufacturers steel trip edges can cut in then trip, cut in then trip and keep repeating that, creating a washboard effect, which is probably not good for the machine but creates good speed bumps.

Pro-Tech's IST uses specially designed wear shoes, made of Hardox Brand Steel which aid in cutting into hardpack, they are also designed to "be self leveling" to keep the edge cutting at the best angle of attack. Also the IST urethane membrane replaces multiple moving parts and provides a much smoother trip action with lots of travel. Moving parts = bad. Complexity = bad. The IST is amazingly simple, with very few moving parts. Lastly, the tensioners are strong and small to prevent ice build up which can interfere with "tripping."

People definitely say they use less salt with a steel edge, whether it's a Pro-Tech or not, so I would say that is a fact. The IST Edge is an actual cutting edge while the rubber is more of a squeegee. Also, when you use a steel edge pusher you keep a little slack in the chain and binder so it can follow the surface a little better. However, the downside to steel edges is they are not great on rough surfaces, and if the plowing surface is very slushy they are not as effective. Pro-Tech makes the Switchblade which is both an IST Steel Trip Edge Pusher and a standard rubber edge pusher, by simply flipping the unit over.

Everything is made in the USA, in Rochester, NY except for the urethane membrane which is custom "extruded" in the USA and then custom punched for us in Rochester, NY.

Lastly, from what we have found at Pro-Tech poly edges are not better than rubber and cost a lot more. Also, the quality of the rubber is a major factor IMHO.

I know a lot of this sounds like an advertisement, but I hope it helps as there are a lot of questions out there about steel edge pushers, especially now that salt is expensive.