1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Box plow on pickup or dumptruck?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by sk187, Jan 14, 2008.

1. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

I have a x-county truck and we plow large parking areas, our loaders all have box plows but my x county truck just has a 12' angle plow and belly blade.

I found this on the avalanche(plowsite sponsor) site today and just wondered if anyone has seen one in action or even know how they hook to a x-county truck.

I was wondering if I could just get a old 10' box plow and modify it to fit.

They also make them for pickups - but im not sure how well that would work.

There site is at http://www.avalancheplow.com

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My truck that I wanted to put a box plow on

[​IMG]

2. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I've never seen a box plow on a 3 ton & up truck but I did see a 1990 1 ton cummins ram a couple years ago that had an 8' Fisher made into a box plow and it did alright for the 4" snowfall.

As for the larger trucks I would think you would need alot of weight in the back like a sander for ballast for heavy snow.

3. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Anybody know what the model for a pick0up would cost? I like the idea...

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The company that designed and built Avalanche is in our area and I used to see quite a few trucks like yours running around with pushers on them. They just have a A frame instead of bucket mount and they lift with a chain.

5. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

They have a quote system available on there web site, im filling out a request tomorrow.

6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Well how much do you like your transmission?

Because those pusher mounted to pickups will just over heat the tranny. A pickup is just not designed to push that much. Yes boxes are much like a expandable plows, but they hold twice the capacity as one. Plus there is no trip feature on the box plows that will work with the high speed of the truck. Only the center rubber will flex, not the shoe. Smack a curb with one on a truck at 15 mph and you will need a new truck frame. Smack a curb with a loader or skidsteer, your will break off the curb. Plus you have 6500 lbs truck vs a 8500-50,000lbs loader pushing a box. Just something to think about.

7. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

There is a contractor here in town that has a 10' box on a class 6 dump. Not sure if he has in weight or not. I don't know him, most I've ever talked to him was to ask him to move his truck and trailer off of a lot that I plow. (He parked in my lost to unload his skid steer to plow an adjacent lot).

8. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Hey Green,

Those are some interesting points you brought up. I have a truck dedicated to do only driveways, and most of them are about 75-100 feet long and 15 feet wide. We average 4-6 inch storms and I liked the idea of a box instead of a plow for those driveways. Not much chance of hitting obstacles or curbs, but pushing that much snow and overheating the trans (Turbo 400, great tarns!) is interesting.

Does anybody on here have one mounted on a pick-up? Any first hand experience?

Hey SK, you get a price yet?

Thanks guys... :drinkup:

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ask how many they've sold, that'll answer your question.

Seems like someone here said they end up lifting and riding over the snow because of no down pressure and they're lighter than the loader models?

With the lot you're using that truck in, you don't have enough work to keep it busy with the plow(s)?

10. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

We have some loaders with 16' push boxes that take care of the main lots, the truck I pictured just does 2 large ring roads around the property and salting.

We could always use another box plowing.

BTW: im requesting a quote now.

11. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

Just got a reply on my quote request for a 9ft box plow for class 7 truck.

It also answers the trip edge question.

Tyler,
    Thanks for your inquiry.
    The retail price of the MTAT-09 is $6000. It features a dedicated steel trip
    edge with 7/8" torsion springs that gives great performance in even icy and
    hard-packed snow conditions.
    As you don't have a dealer right in your area we could sell to you direct in
    which case we would ship at no cost so the above price would be for the plow
    delivered to your location.

If there is anything else that you need please feel free to contact us.

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Just so you know, the company that designed those plows do not have them on any of there trucks, just there loaders. That might tell you something.

13. Mark Oomkes

Sure there not pulling YOUR chain???? LMAO

14. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

I just think of it as I have 2million+ sq ft to plow at one location.

To rent a loader is anywhere from 2500-4500 a month and a 16' box for said loader is 4000+ to buy or 500 a month to rent.

I have this county truck that could do its main roads where it just wings the snow off into the ditch in a hour and then it more or less sits until its time to salt.

If I had a box on it in a wide open parking lot (mind you 2million +/- sq ft of parking lot) it could do alot of work while it normally would sit.

15. Mark Oomkes

Can't you windrow the snow away from the building with the front blade? At least until you get to the islands?

Besides, 9' isn't squat when it comes to pushing. No place at all you can just continue windrowing?

Centerpointe Mall in GR they used to plow the entire lot with a L9000 tri-axle. Pickup cut in all the tight spots by the building, then they just made a big circle around the building. It's all cut up with islands now, so I'm sure it's done differently, but I find it hard to believe you can't find some use for it on that lot.

16. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

I use it plenty, and can windrow many of the lots for the big box plows. I guess I was just looking for even more.