1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Box Plow Help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bigsnowny, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Bigsnowny

Bigsnowny Member

Looking for input on Box Plows/ Pusher Plows. Been plowing commercial lots for sometime now and pusher plows are the only way to go. Been using Pro-Tech 14' pusher with rubber cutting edge, happy with how much snow it will carry and how well it works on slushy wet snow, but will not cut hard pack. One year later expanded fleet with one 12' Pro-Tech switchblade on a New Holland backhoe and a 14' Pro-Tech IST pusher on John Deer 624H with a quick attach. The quick attach is too ridged with no movement on the plow, leaves a lot of snow behind. The 12' switchblade works the best of all three.
    Not happy with the quality of pro-tech products and replacement parts pricing is way too high. Pro-tech claims the cutting edges and skid shoes are hardened steel but their not they are made from mild steel.
    Been reading about Avalanche plows and Arctic sectional plows on here. Looking for input from guys who are using these plows and what would be my best choose for large lots and hard pack. My customers want blacktop all the time and salt costing so much, need to cut down the amount of salt being used to get rid of hard pack. Thanks for info.
  2. concreteguy

concreteguy Senior Member

Snow Wolf plow w/ the box sides I like to run. Less moving/breakable parts than an Artic, although I do like the Artic design
  3. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

We have similar equipment (JD624 and bigger with 16' boxes" and just changed them all over to poly edges.

The ploy will cut down to pavement great and wear better then steel will and is much less abrasive.

Poly also allow you a little bit of flex in case you do catch a manhole.

Here is a picture of the poly about to go on one of our boxes(16' box 2 8' poly blades).

4. Bigsnowny

Bigsnowny Member

Thanks Tyler, What kind of pusher is that in the photo? rubber or steel? Who makes the poly edges?
  5. plowinli

plowinli Member

I had a box with a rubber edge and was not happy with it. The rubber edge steals your power for pushing except for slush and hard pack. We got an Arctic last year and was very happy with it but there are some draw backs. With all the moving part you have to be carefull when stacking. With a solid box you can go into a frozen pile and not worry about the box but with the arctic if you are not carefull you can damage something.
  6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

7. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

We have had great success with our Arctic Sectional. I have seen the Snow Wolf plows with the switchable box and they are very nice too, and can be used as a regular blade if necessary.
  8. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I bought a 14ft HD Artic sectional this year. Works Great. It will scrape right down to bare pavement most of the time. Unlike Pro tech and others with a rubber edge and one piece construction , the edges follow the ground and the side plates dont hold the cutting edges off the ground. It also has a floating mount system so its pretty idiot proof to opperate . They are more expensive than a one piece pusher, but well worth it.
  9. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Take a look at the Kage

system as well, we run only a 10' on a telehandler, but we are impressed with it's ability to scrape clean as well as the 10" of articulation for uneven surfaces. They make large units I believe up to 16'
  10. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

I dont think you can beat the Arctic. You'll save huge amounts of salt compared to rubber edge.
  11. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

12. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I run Kage plows, love them!