1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Box in or straight blade?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kmamark2000, Oct 30, 2013.

1. kmamark2000

kmamark2000 Senior Member

I have a straight blade plow. I have been thinking about boxing it in for the past couple years. What is your opinion on boxed plows? I am not going to pay out the huge money for a V plow so please don't suggest it. (I still don't see the need for one unless we get 48" of snow in an hour).

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What kinda lots are you plowing that you think you need to box your plow

3. kmamark2000

Small -med lot sizes.

4. dieselss

Well can you just windrow the snow to one side or do you have to carry it a far distance

5. kmamark2000

All my lots require both windrow to one side as well as push to one end of lot. I have never used a boxed plow and was wondering if it would be worth the effort to box my straight blade.

6. dieselss

Well. Maybe just get wings instead of fabbing something up. But that would all be up to u. Is it worth the effort to do all that fab work? Sure the box plow will save you time, but how much? And then trying to windrow with box ends isn't always worth it

7. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

X2 on the wings. Not sure what plow you have but I run a set of buyers wings on my fisher and I like them a lot. They're swept forward so they help carry the snow but you can still windrow pretty well too.