1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

box help!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by the new boss 92, Jan 1, 2010.

1. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

ok heres whats going on, today i start my truck to go to the parts store and let it warm up. i start driving away and i noticed that when my turn signal was on that my head unit(radio) would blink with the stero and dim when i hit the breaks aswell. when i get home, i have no tail lights, running lights, licence plat lights or nothing in the back, but the frount lights and clerance lights work just fine. so when i pulled my truck in the heated garage to cheack it out, i go to turn it off and its still running, while i had all the lights on and it wont shut off till i turn the lights off. also when i turn on the lights the fuel pump, dash lights come on. so now by this time im like wtf whats going on. i unplugged my trailer light t connector from the back thinking it was bad and nothing happened. i am confused and stuck. i need this fixed incase we get snow soon!

2. TLB

TLB Senior Member

You got yourself a big electrical mess to figure out :angry:

3. the new boss 92

yea i know and its suppossed to snow next week to!

4. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

My guess would be either your alternator is going out/ shot. Or that you have a ground problem. When the ground path is bad it will pull ground thrugh all sorts of odd places.

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

For sure time to start checking all of your grounds!! Sounds like one is broke and you got a major back feed going on somewhere!!!!

6. the new boss 92

yea i just pulled the break switch down and nothing. i have had this problem before and i took a ground off and it worked, now i have a big problem, could it be a ingnition switch? b&b has never let me down, were is he?

7. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

I doubt it would be the ignition switch, maybe a computer. I would look at the major ground points, battery to engine/ starter area, I think that has ground wires to the cab and frame in the engine compartment.

8. the new boss 92

well i had shorted out a ground strap and had fixed it about a year ago, now i took it back off and still nothing, i am going to go threw the haynes manuel and try to find ground points and see what i could find. doe any one have a diagram of chassie grounds?

9. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

From what I've seen in most manuals you'll be hard pressed to find the grounds in there. They normally only show the ones that are a part of the wiring harness, which if they are close to the battery could be your problem. If it's the bigger ground straps, they are on their own and not part of the wiring harness. I don't think taking off any grounds will help it, possible though. I would say it either wore thru or corroded in half so look lower in the salt effected areas. Did you look at the ground strap at the back of the engine to the firewall, I think it hooks to the back of one of the heads on yours.

10. the new boss 92

yea, thats the one i burnt up by doing something stupid but replaced it with 0awg wire. and havent had problems yet. i put a batter tester on the alternator with the break switch down and its bouncing from 16 to 10 amp. i have a have a lifetime warrentee on the alternator so im going to take it off and take it back tomarrow. what else could it bee i think we are getting close but i just wanna make sure that the truck isnt going to be on fire, i would hate to buy a 1 ton srw right now!

11. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

Is it bouncing like that with out the brake switch activated? If not I'd say a short in the brake light portion of the harness. If it does the bouncing all the time it could be a bad alternator, an intermittent short, ground or power connection like something kicking in and out. If it's the alternator it could be the regulator, but I'd start with taking the alternator to the parts store and have them test it and replace it if necessary. Make sure to have them test not just replace it, when they test it at the store it's separate from the vehicle therefore not effected by any bad wiring or issues on the vehicle.

If it's not that, hmm. As far as fire goes, keep an extinguisher handy. Fire shouldn't be a major concern unless you've direct wired things with out fuses. Start with the alternator. Post your results, I'll be around work tomorrow and can look at our manuals there. We also have a truck your year at work I can take a gander at for the grounds. I'll do some checking on that stuff for you if the alternator isn't it. Hope that's the ticket for ya. Thad

12. dmaxplowguy66

dmaxplowguy66 Junior Member

Sounds like you have a battery shorting out! bad cell. I see it alot on the semis I work on and actually just had it happen on my personal Dmax last winter with only a 2 year old interstate battery. When they short out they do all kinds of weird electrical things ! might want to check there 1st just a thought definatlly sounds like same symptoms

13. the new boss 92

well i put a load tester on the alternator and put load of it now it doesnt do anything and its back to normal, chances or it my battery or alternator. ill cheack back later to what you came up with from the truck at your work. i appresheate it for time and help your giving me!

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Something else you can try is isolating some of the loads. I would start by disconnecting your stereo, and headlight switch. See what happens..

15. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

Well I didn't find anything out to help you. I looked at the manuals to no avail and someone took the truck home for the weekend so no good there either. I would agree about it likely being battery or alternator. Do you have a different battery to try? If it's the alternator I guess you would have to have it act up again. That's the bummer about intermittent electrical problems, you have to have the problems to fix it quite often. Not sure what to tell you at this point, dmax has a good point about the battery and that could come and go. I'll let you know if I think of anything.

16. the new boss 92

well i took the alternator in to get tested and its sitting t 14.4 volts, i have disconeccted the break switch head unit and headlight switch with no luck. im thinking battery and grounds next im lot and need the truck monday to get to school. i also bought a new break switch to try so ill update after i try the switch. if its not the switch im going to be ordering an ho alternator and new optima red top this week to see what happens then. i just dont know what else to do other then start looking for a new truck eariler then intended.

17. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

that sucks man. I am going through some crazy ass electrical problems myself. The newest one is it turns off randomly and the other day the batteries were drained. its been a total headche and its going to the dealer to get fixed on monday. Im gonna get raped but I trust them over most of my other choises.

Good luck, wish I could be of any assistance!

18. the new boss 92

thanks doug, yea im leaning more twards electrical, but for now im going to put it back together and take it for a rip because now its fine, seems to only do it when it sits in the cold for a while, days at a time. then it will be fine once i mess with it!

19. the new boss 92

so my truck started doing it again today and i bought a brake switch the other day and it fixed it but now it came back!!!!!!!!! arg any one have any more idea's? its going on craigslist real soon if it keeps it up!

20. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

Will it act up with the ignition turned on but the engine not running?