1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Box ends w/ backblade tab

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by W8N4snow, Feb 10, 2008.

1. W8N4snow

W8N4snow Member

I made these up for my Hiniker but they'd work on anything. While I was into it, I left a small tab on the backside to catch spill from backblading. It's flexible rubber so I don't see it damaging the plow. Check into recycled conveyor belting. This was 1 1/4" material and is very sturdy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i like it, how does it hold up to plowing??? does it wear fast from scraping the ground??

3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Where did you get the rubber from? How much was it?

Great idea.

4. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

Looks good

5. THEGOLDPRO

you can buy the conveyor material off ebay its pretty cheap.

6. W8N4snow

W8N4snow Member

It's got 1 plow under it's belt (no pun intended ;) ) It did great, a lot less spill when pushing long distances and I didn't have to clean up anything when pulling back. Windrowing worked and the ends folded out and up when they ran along the edge, like a mud flap. I didn't secure them all the way down the blade on purpose, just for this. They are stiff and seem to hold their shape unless the hit something, which is good. Every so often I could see some slight black scuff marks on the pavement, but it probably needed to wear down even with the blade first.

I initially did a Google search for recycled rubber and came up with conveyor material from quite a few different places. I worked with Joe at a place called Belt Maintenance Systems in Buffalo NY. Shipping was more than the material due to weight.

Cutting to shape and putting holes through it was kinda tough, this stuff's thick.

7. THEGOLDPRO

8. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

So now the big question, how much did this mod run you?

9. THEGOLDPRO

i bet you could do this whole thing for 40 bucks including hardware.

10. W8N4snow

W8N4snow Member

This looks like it's all 3/8" flap. I see he's got thicker stuff as well. The stuff I ordered was 1.25" thick and 2 - 30" X 16" odd ball size pieces seemed to weigh about 40lbs total which upped the shipping cost as well. The stuff I found was $8 a sq ft plus the shipping. All together it put it around $100. Your results may vary.....;)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  11. 1sthippy

1sthippy Member

I'd like to know how you cut it!

12. W8N4snow

W8N4snow Member

Box cutter. Just make lots of slices. It gives eventually. There's polyester cord down the middle from the belting which adds strength. The holes were the bugger. I used a rasp drill bit to grind/file out a hole large enough for the bolts to be screwed into.

13. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

awsome..............

14. W8N4snow

W8N4snow Member

Next time out I'll get pics with a full load and also pics of what it looks like when angled for windrowing.

15. W8N4snow

W8N4snow Member

Actual cost for both pieces was $48 total. Goodyear Grade #2 conveyor with polyester belting 1 /14" thick. I didn't get a durometer spec for this. Shipping was DHL and I'm getting the actual cost from Buffalo to Detroit.

16. W8N4snow

W8N4snow Member

Supplier said it cost $23 to ship, $48 for the material. So it cost $71 for the belting. Bolts/washers were around $5. Plus elbow grease.;)

17. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

hole saw bits work a heck of a lot better for this....

18. adrebs57

adrebs57 Junior Member

How have the wings held up for you? I like the idea