1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bowed U Edge is this right??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bow Hunter TJ, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Bow Hunter TJ

Bow Hunter TJ Junior Member

I bought a U edge for My atv and when I opened it up i noticed it is bowed quite a bit is this normal?? If I were to lay the cutting edge down on the ground the ends do not touch!! I assume it will straighten out when I bolt it on??? It came predrilled from Cycle country???

2. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

it will straighten out when you bolt it on I would think.

3. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Ya get what ya pay for?? From what I have heard there are many companies selling urethane, and not all of them are the same quality though. But since it is for an ATV I can assume it is a thin piece, so it will be more flexible than the pieces that get used on truck plows. So I agree with kawdude that it should be able to be straightened out as it gets bolted on. You can check if it will work by measuring all of the distances between the drilled holes & the edge. If they are all the same, then it will bolt on straight. If there are great differences, then I would return it for another one. With it being the type of flexible material that it is, I'm sure it can happen often, so there shouldn't be a problem with them replacing it.

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Like BRL said, make sure you drill the holes the same distance from the edge on all of them. When you bolt it up, it will be straight.
    Dino

5. Bow Hunter TJ

That's right you do get what you pay for!! but why pay almost 200 bucks for something I can get for 25??? and it might be warped too!! No one I called would make a 1" thick 48" blade they all wanted to sell me atleast 9 feet at 200 bucks plus??

6. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I had no problem getting a 1" x 48" that I cut up to replace the rubber on my wings. Not warped at all like you describe. I can't remember what it cost though, but it was definitely a lot less than the 1.5" x 7'-8' ones.

7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

You didnt call me, but with that said, I couldnt have sold it for 25.00. An edge 1" x 8" x 48" would have been 125.00 with shipping. An edge that wide would be ripped in half on a table saw, and reap 4 wear edges.
    Dino

8. Gregg Blair

Gregg Blair member

I've gotta agree with Dino. Our price would've been about the same, and we probably would have used a similar method to produce it. In fact, I can't think of any reputable urethane blade manufacturer who would have met that price, or tried to sell in the bulk size you've described. Are you sure you bought urethane? The price you paid, and the attempts to get you to buy bulk, lead me to believe you bought rubber.

9. Bow Hunter TJ

No its urethane not rubber, I would know the diff!!

Anyway its not 8" tall it is only about half that and it is very stiff..

I will give it a try and see how it works, if it does not work well then, lesson learned!!

One guy did try to sell me a 1/2 thick X 48" U Edge for 60 bucks + shipping.. but I think I needed atleast 3/4 to 1" thick!!

10. Raptor

Raptor Junior Member

The "U" Edge you thought you bought is Not Polyurethane - It's UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight plastic).

See http://www.cyclecountry.com/products/blades/accessories.htm

This material (UHMW) is relatively HARD plastic, and will not behave anyithing like the Polyurethane products being discussed here.

Jeff